weird issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird issue

So im driving along the freeway in the 91 sedan, all is well, mileage is good, shits lookin tits.

Its 110 degrees outside coming from vegas. All the sudden the engine shuts off. I give it gas and nothing, no power at all. Coast to a stop in gear and the engine dies instantly.

I sit there, contemplate my issue, turn the key all the way off,then start it and bam. The car starts up.

I drive to the nearest exit and check everything out. Nothing out of the ordinary.

So wtf?
    here are my symptoms

My idle is rough. It seems like itll miss a cyl every so often. Also while driving long distances in the heat I get a sense of power loss at WOT (wide open throttle) Its minimal but its there

The plugs are new but they are cheap champion shit.
    I swapped the coil and wires not to long ago to fix a low RPM hiccup.
    No vac leaks
    CPS is good as far as I know

Let me get some input

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Something is arcing
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

leaning towards weird electrical problems as well. I have no CEL

driving short distances around town or even semi long freeway drives I never have problems

Would the stumbling Idle and WOT power issues be related?

I have yet to check my fuel pump relay. Fuel is not the issue I dont think. Im running TRE and its brand new.

when it happened I lost one of two things, either fuel or spark.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

DME relay, C101 Plug (below manifold) connection, Ign rotor and or cap... The list goes on but that is the top 3.
        B&C Foreign Car - BMW Service Ventura, California. Since 1975

Comment

I think its also cap and rotor.lolz noobs
          Originally posted by bmwm42
          PNW vulture pm me for parts
          Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

LO-fucking L

I'll be sure to take my car into BMW service in Ventura CA.
            Last edited by Dj Buttchug; 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

It sounds like it could be fuel related...my car was down on power especially when hot as the pump was croaking. I know you can splice in an aftermarket fuel pump, but maybe the solder joints are weak (I tried doing the same on my car, and I couldn't get a good joint based on how tight it was to solder the wires).

I bit the bullet and just got a replacement VDO unit from Autohaus AZ. Now it's smooth sailing all the way to 7K.

Comment

100% caused by the fact that you didnt bring down the convertible top for me to buy from you when you were in vegas even though i emailed you all about it. the cars computer knew you screwed up and lost out on some cash, some hookers, and some blow. the front emblem wanted some clamidea too. that wasnt the engine missing it was german morse code.
                Originally posted by der affe
                What are you going to start a thread about next? "My woman's skinny jeans chaffe my special parts, f*ck skin irritation"
                Originally posted by navid41691
                And no, I use lotion so I don't have to worry about skin irritation.
                '...rolling balls, i'm elated, i'm going dumb now; drinking liquor i'm faded and having fun now; loaded gun and tripping with everyone around; keep me stuck in the sky, i never wanna come down...'...kabosh

Comment

Originally posted by WhyNot View Post
                  100% caused by the fact that you didnt bring down the convertible top for me to buy from you when you were in vegas even though i emailed you all about it. the cars computer knew you screwed up and lost out on some cash, some hookers, and some blow. the front emblem wanted some clamidea too. that wasnt the engine missing it was german morse code.
                  lol I never got a email from you! I totally would have

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Pull the plugs and check for fouling. Get some good NGK or Bosch plugs...1 or 2 steps colder with a tight gap and see what happens.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

My money is on fuel pump relay or fuel pump.

Comment

M42's dislike the heat. I have yet to find out what causes my intermittent hot weather rough starts, but my money is on the fuel system. Although I replaced my pump recently, I believe the heat affects something in the fuel system.

Good luck with it.
                        Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

^^^ I think its fuel pump related also. or something like the gas tank goes into vapor lock which you can loosen the cap to equalize the pressures. if you have an extra gas cap just drill a tiny hole thru it and the system will be vented. this is for testing only.

but to make sure, on your key chain, remove your pen, the one in the shape of a big dildo that squirts hand lotion, so you know youre not screwing up the ignition switch somehow.
                          try to keep your legs straight while you're burping your worm, maybe your knee hit the switch as you smacked your face with your pen [you had chapped cheeks from the desert heat, of course you did]
                          check the ignition switch is tight and all the connectors are tight and not corroded. also check up my your feet area. then put on some lipstick and gve your pen a good luck kiss and off you go.

dude i sent you ten emails and you sent pics and everything.
                          i kinda had a feeling you lost interest when i said hookers but i thought it was because youre from utah=mormon but now i think i know what you mean by the 'other white meat' you were looking for.
                          Originally posted by der affe
                          What are you going to start a thread about next? "My woman's skinny jeans chaffe my special parts, f*ck skin irritation"
                          Originally posted by navid41691
                          And no, I use lotion so I don't have to worry about skin irritation.
                          '...rolling balls, i'm elated, i'm going dumb now; drinking liquor i'm faded and having fun now; loaded gun and tripping with everyone around; keep me stuck in the sky, i never wanna come down...'...kabosh

Comment

LOL dude if you want the fucking top just throw hunnids at me

Its chillin in my place of residence waiting for you...

PS. Im am not aware of this mormon you speak of. I also enjoy hookers, including your mom

Love buttchug

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Working...
                            X