eBay headers on a 325es?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBay headers on a 325es?

I have a 325es and I'm looking into some new exhaust stuff to get a better sound out of my car. I've looked through just about every exhaust thread on here and have read a lot about a bunch of different things I can do to get what I'm looking for but I would like some other opinions from those who have more experience with this stuff than I do. One thing I kept reading was that getting new headers on an eta isn't worth it. Is this true? Will it help get a better sound if I get a new muffler as well? If it will make a difference, will these be good to look into? http://m.ebay.com/itm/181020235914?nav=SEARCH or should I look into a catback instead of getting new headers? Any opinions would help!! Thanks everyone!

I don't have much input input on the header because I haven't installed one. I have asked about it myself and was told it will lower the torque. I'm looking for a better sound myself and found that the mid pipe is the main problem. There's a resonator built into it that does a great job of lowering the sound lever. I'm running with no muffler and it's not even close to loud. I see installing a performance muffler not doing anything for sound improvement do to the resonator. You may be able to find the pipe on the we'd with no resonator or get an exhaust shop to make on like I plan to do then go with a muffler of your choice. The is the setup I like to go with.

Last edited by Dakotademon7; 03-23-2014, 06:11 AM.
    sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

I converted my eta to a complete i exhaust (from manifolds to muffler tip), using used parts. It is a better sound than the stock eta exhaust, cost less than buying and fitting ebay headers, and opens up your upgrade options for cat-back's.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
        I converted my eta to a complete i exhaust (from manifolds to muffler tip), using used parts. It is a better sound than the stock eta exhaust, cost less than buying and fitting ebay headers, and opens up your upgrade options for cat-back's.
        That's a good option if you can find one from a privet seller. I know its not legal for them to sell used cats so you have to buy a chopped exhaust and add your own cats. At least that's the way it is in my state.
        sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

Does the "I" exhaust with manifold bolt right on to the eta or do I have to change some other stuff before I can put it on?

Comment

I manifolds/catalytic converter/ muffler all bolt into an eta. I believe the I downpipe/catalytic converter assembly will bolt up to the e manifolds, but I'm not positive on that. The I catalytic converter and I exhaust must be done together, since the e catalytic converter assembly is dual in single out, and the I assembly is dual in dual out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

The position of the oxygen sensor is different, but it is simple to swap. On the exhaust side of the engine compartment there is a connector to the main engine harnesses. On e cars it connects to a second harness that runs down by the transmission for the o2 sensors position beneath the car. If you swap in the I exhaust, the o2 sensor is positioned just beneath the manifolds, and all you have to do is unplug the main harness from the extension harness, and plug in the o2 sensor to the main harness.

You do have to keep the e o2 sensor, and swap it to the I exhaust.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Are there any threads that have step by step photos for this? I understand what is needed to do but seeing it done step by step with photos really helps!

Comment

Let me reply since I've had an I exhaust then changed over to headers like the OP is talking about on my last eta. My 87 325es had an stock "I" exhaust on it, it was quiet and performed like a stock car would. Frankly I thought it was just as slow as the stock 85 325e I had. I then took it off and put on a set of IE LT headers, same as the ebay ones... with no cats, duel 2.25" pipes with a set of short glass packs. It was VERY loud! As for performance, I say it did pick up some power in the butt dyno. But it's not crazy power, just a tad I'd say. But in the end, it's your money and spend it as you please.

1992 BMW 325iC
                  1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                  1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                  X