Need help with fuel tank/system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with fuel tank/system

A couple years ago I started smelling fuel in the car, and in the garage in the morning. My car has been sitting for almost two years now at my sister's house while my parents moved and I was away at school (clutch disc was seized, but she did fire up first try). Now that I have a place to work on the car, I'm starting to try to get a grasp on what needs to be done, and how to do it. Anyways, on to my first question. Is it time for a new gas tank? Or will I get away with replacing the O-Ring and maybe a couple other things? Here are some pictures of what I've run into so far. (I met a guy at Lime Rock that told me to pop off the rear seat and that most likely it would be the gasket around the cap/hoses/etc...) I took off the panel and found this...

Cleaned it up a little bit with a paint brush and shop vac.

So what do you guys think? Go ahead and order a new o-ring? Any help is greatly appreciated. Once this is done I can move on to the timing belt! Haha, again, thanks guys.
    1987 325is Black/Black
    -Stock (mostly)

After consulting my dad, we're going to take the tank off. Replace what needs to be replaced in that area of the car, clean everything up and see where that puts us.
    1987 325is Black/Black
    -Stock (mostly)

Comment

Working...
    X