No announcement yet.

Brake lamp warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh ok, it's inside the body. I'll take a look next time I have it open. Mine is a 89 also.
    '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
    '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
    '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

well good luck! the check circuit may not be the issue, but at least you'll know for sure and it only takes a few minutes to get to it.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Wow, lots of input. Thanks and still working on it. If I fugure it out I will post what I finally found.

Comment

I had a similar bedeviling problem with the brake warning light. I did the following:

1. Purchased new Osram brand brake light bulbs. This includes the 3rd brake light bulb.

2. Removed the brake light bulb carriers and examined the sockets and their contact points for possible poor fitment with the bulb. Used fine grade steel wool and a small screwdriver to remove any oxidation from all the socket contact points. The 3rd brake light carrier in particular had a small area for the bulb to touch the contact base,so I gently bent it to provide a wider surface of contact.

3. Before installing the new bulbs I put a small dab of bulb grease on the bulb bases. Made sure each bulb fitted snugly into its socket.

4. Removed the brake light check relay located next to the antenna unit in the trunk. Cleaned the relay pins with fine steel wool before reinstalling. Checked for a snug fit between relay and wiring plugs.

5. Removed the driver's side knee bolster to inspect the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Sprayed the switch plunger with an aerosol graphite spray to make sure it was not sticking.

The brake warning light now goes out correctly once the car is started and I apply the brake pedal. I believe my problem was a combination of non-Osram brand bulbs and a poor fitment of bulb and socket in the 3rd brake light. The connection of bulb and 3rd brake light socket base was minimal that it frequently triggered a fault when driving over a rough or bumpy road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1993 Alpine White II 325i convertible (last year of E30 production)
          1988 Zinnoberot 325 Super ETA coupe

Comment

One other thing to check... When reinstalling the knee bolster, make sure that none of the nearby wiring gets shoved into the brake light switch. I used a few zip ties to keep all wires from bumping into the brake switch. These brake switches sometimes do not fit snugly into the bracket and can cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1993 Alpine White II 325i convertible (last year of E30 production)
            1988 Zinnoberot 325 Super ETA coupe

Comment

Working...
            X