173 chip in 524?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

173 chip in 524?

So I am seeing varying opinions on this subject, but I recently grabbed a dinan D900-2532 (for a 173 ECU) for cheap, assuming my 91 325i had the correct ECU, which of course....it does not.

I currently have a 524 ECU in the car. Any idea if itd be better for me just to purchase the chip designed for the 524, or attempt running this one in it?

If its a no go, looking to sell it for $100 if anyones interested.
    If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a Saloon" - WC Fields

Garage
    1991 325i
    1972 R75/5 Cafe

Pretty sure it will work. Its not going to fry or anything - worst that can happen is no start or a CEL.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^^^x2

Comment

Its my daily driver so definitely don't want to screw anything up. Actually called Dinan and waiting to hear back from them on it.

Garage
        1991 325i
        1972 R75/5 Cafe

Comment

they will probably tell you it's going to explode. but I promise you it won't.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I actually have the same DME 524 (really uncommon but I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues) I think it just differs because of the airbag. I'm using a Sssquid 524 chip. Maybe you should ask him about this. Jesse is a really good guy.
            Build Thread
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
            Parts Thread
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

it's actually for california emissions. the airbag doesn't have any communication with the DME.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                they will probably tell you it's going to explode. but I promise you it won't.
                Haha, going to take your word for it then and give it a shot...we'll see what happens. Been doing a lot of reading and it looks like the 524 is simply just a newer version of the 173, but the underlying code is almost identical throughout the 5 different ECU models.

Garage
                1991 325i
                1972 R75/5 Cafe

Comment

The hardware is certainly identical.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Installed the chip, no CEL, no problems, works great. Not too much of a difference from stock except throttle response is definitely smoother and idle does not bounce even one little bit.

Garage
                    1991 325i
                    1972 R75/5 Cafe

Comment

Working...
                    X