Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused, and dont know what to do, PLEASE HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused, and dont know what to do, PLEASE HELP!!!!

ok so before hand, i bought my e30 cabby 318ic about 6 months ago, every since then ive noticed that the car gets horrible mileage on gas, about 140-160 full tank on a good week, i asked about it earlier a couple months ago and fellow r3v's told me i have a huge vac leak!! So about a week ago my car over heated, and i took it to a mechanic because the temp gauge was not just going to red, but sometimes fluctuating from below middle back to red and then back to the middle whenever it felt like it, so i took it to the mechanic and he said i have a cracked cylinder, or a cracked cylinder head and it would cost 1500 to fix, but i noticed why my car was over heating and it was because my fan clutch was out, and he did not mention that at all too me as a result of doing a diagnosis on my engine, besides the over heating and the mechanic saying it has a cracked cylinder head, or a cracked cylinder and that i have been running on three this whole time, ive noticed that the engine seems to want to die out on cold start, and once its warm then it is in somewhat at a calm state but also shakes alot and makes the car shake in general, does this really mean my engine is basically gone and needs a rebuilt or its just a huge vac leak that is the cause of the engine not working properly, making the car shake, loss of power, and horrible gas mileage.

PLEASE NOTE- SORRY FOR THE LONG PARAGRAPH, i just wanted to be specific so you guys i have enough info on the problem, its a beautiful kept car, with 130k miles looks brand new with beautiful original paint, i would not have enough funds as of right now to fix the m42 if it has a cracked cylinder head, and would be forced to sell my vert :hitler:. im ganna take it to another mechanic just to be on the safe side but i would figure R3v's knowledge about the m42 is much help, and will help me understand what to do about this problem, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

If you think you have a cracked cylinder head there are two easy, free tests to see if this is the case. One, pull the dip stick and look for the tell tale milk shake residue, if coolant mixes with oil it will turn a lightish brown and be overly viscous. Two, with the car warmed up, look at the exhaust outlet pipe and rev the engine (may take two people), if you see a white cloud you have coolant leaking into the combustion chamber. If you do have a cracked head (likely) take it as a lesson to keep your engines cooling system in top condition in future car. Sorry to hear of your plight, I wish you and your car all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      If you think you have a cracked cylinder head there are two easy, free tests to see if this is the case. One, pull the dip stick and look for the tell tale milk shake residue, if coolant mixes with oil it will turn a lightish brown and be overly viscous. Two, with the car warmed up, look at the exhaust outlet pipe and rev the engine (may take two people), if you see a white cloud you have coolant leaking into the combustion chamber. If you do have a cracked head (likely) take it as a lesson to keep your engines cooling system in top condition in future car. Sorry to hear of your plight, I wish you and your car all the best.

I forget to add that in my post that i have done exactly what you've said and checked all the oils and they look like in perfect texture and color, but as for the exhaust part ive noticed water spitting out a little but not smog/ smoke, if i may add , i do hear a type of noise from the intake manifold of water most likly drippin but im not sure, also thank you for your help and care its much appericate.

Comment

It is possible to have a cracked head without having milky oil
        Originally posted by bmwm42
        PNW vulture pm me for parts
        Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
          It is possible to have a cracked head without having milky oil

hmm true ive heard that too but what are possible signs to know whats going?

Comment

COmpression test? leak down?

do you burn oil, between changes?
            87 'vert~~~~~~~89 s50~~~~~~~~~91 318i~~~~~~~~87 s50~~~~~~~~~R.I.P. '91 318i

I Need used SIR tools

Comment

Well, have you determined via something as simple as the overflow tank that you are actually losing coolant? The dripping is probably from the throttle body heater plates. Or it could be fuel, but I am sure you would have noticed that.

For sure get a compression test done if it's at a shop. Or if not find a member who has the kit to do so. If you have the time/money strip off the intake manifold do the mess deletion, change injector seals, maybe manifold gaskets too, just generally try to get it running nicely & you may find the culprit is not the head. If it does end up being the head I am sure you can find one for ~$150, get the cam on torx head bolt tool, torque wrench, new bolts, and a head gasket. All in you would be looking at about $400 to do it yourself, if you can get loaner tools, a bit less.

By the way, the temp gauge on these cars is only a rough guide!

Comment

Working...
              X