Driving across the country tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving across the country tips

I'm driving my 318 from KY to CA beginning of September and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to keep it from blowing up on me. Last time I did this trip in my M3 and it ran for a week after I got it back then popped the head gasket in a most spectacular way.
    1992 318ic

get a 2.93 rear end.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

a 2.93 might be over kill but 3.46 or less might be nice, But b4 you leave on the trip...Flush all Fluids (trans, diff, brake, oil, steering) and put in a NEW Vac Hoses, Rad hoses, t-stat, rad, and water-pump (metal impeller) it's summer so just Run h20 and water wetter

I've Done cross country(OR to FL) in stock a 318 4 times after I did the above maintenance plus new pad and rotors

GL have fun, and make sure you go to the Grand Canyon, and UTAH is beautiful... where in cali is the end point???
      87 'vert~~~~~~~89 s50~~~~~~~~~91 318i~~~~~~~~87 s50~~~~~~~~~R.I.P. '91 318i

I Need used SIR tools

Comment

Originally posted by absolutdog View Post
        a 2.93 might be over kill but 3.46 or less might be nice, But b4 you leave on the trip...Flush all Fluids (trans, diff, brake, oil, steering) and put in a NEW Vac Hoses, Rad hoses, t-stat, rad, and water-pump (metal impeller) it's summer so just Run h20 and water wetter

I've Done cross country(OR to FL) in stock a 318 4 times after I did the above maintenance plus new pad and rotors

GL have fun, and make sure you go to the Grand Canyon, and UTAH is beautiful... where in cali is the end point???
        Time is a big issue so I'm not sure if I'll get to. As far as the vac lines go I don't know if I have the budget for it which bums me out. Also getting a different diff isn't really an option as I won't have anywhere to change it out once I get there.

Going to end up in North Hollywood which should be fun.
        1992 318ic

Comment

If your budget is tight, at least flush all the fluids and don't drive REALLY fast for REALLY long (ie 100+ for 3 hrs) and when you hit the desert area, resist the urge to turn on the AC (assuming it works)
          87 'vert~~~~~~~89 s50~~~~~~~~~91 318i~~~~~~~~87 s50~~~~~~~~~R.I.P. '91 318i

I Need used SIR tools

Comment

if you havent done it already-fuel pump

get a taller running gear. your gonna hate life with a 4,10 turing 4k at 80mph. trust me. it will kill your m42.
            Also consider the increased speed limits in the rural country. semi trucks are turning 80mph all day long and soccer mom lucy is approaching 90 in the crystler town and country.

gear it tall and profit

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Look in some of the mess under the intake threads. You can simplify the vac line routing and do it all stupidly cheap (get all the hoses at your local car place for like $1/foot.).
              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I just changed the oil, checked everything over, and did Denver to Phoenix to Wisconsin to Denver. Only thing that happened was that I lost my OAT sensor somewhere along I-70. But I also didn't do much over 80 mph because of the diff...

Alpine II 318is

Comment

I drove from Boston to LA in my m42...had no problems and it ran for another 80K afterwards until I finally decided to buy a coupe. I drove my current m42 down from boston to charleston, SC about 2 months ago, no problems.

I do have the mess under the intake mod and 2 month old fuel pump installed. As well I have flushed the cooling system and re-did my brakes about 3 months ago.
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD
                  1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                  so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Working...
                  X