2.5-3.0 Stroker Kit (250 WHP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock M20 with turbo??
    Those things are capable of making 350 HP/500 NM on the crank, on stock internals.
    But the M20 is not drift friendly, it can't keep oil pressure going sideways, and overheating is an issue as well...

<Back to the stroker M20.
    I'm going to make one, and that's because I don't want to spoil the balance of the car, with a heavier 24v M50, S50 or S38.
    Been there done that.
    Some guy over here in Denmark makes a 2,8 with M57 3.0 crank, M20B20 rods and 84,5 mm pistons.
    It puts out 204 HP/280 NM, and it's the NM figure i find interesting.
    (it's on a original engine management, I wonder what i would get with a Fartstrup engine management, ITB's, 304 cam, mechanical lifters and a proper dyno)...
    #ShenanigansE30 1989 Touring AC Schnitzer S3 replica http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=320784
    Ruffian 1987 318is 2 door Hartge project http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=290863
    Natalma 1990 Touring AC Schnitzer S3
    #GlorianaE28 1986 525i
    #AnniePowerE34 525i 3.2 M50 with AC Schnitzer S5 parts
    sigpic

Comment

At Portland international raceway the guys there running any of the e30 classes have this specific problem on i think turn 6, and 8, when the oil starts to creep up the side... The gentlemen use a crank scraper to solve this issue, not too expensive.

:)

Comment

Oh my, a lot has changed in the 10 years since this thread was made :crazy:
        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
        4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
          heh

Comment

Think this thread is good and could use a bump and get some updating

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
              +1.

The cream of the crop NA M20's are seeing over 300rwhp these days. So much for "it can't be done".

Comment

500 with nitrous.

This thread makes me go grey. Oh, wait, too late for that...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I wonder why people had this attitude 10 years ago.

I did a very very simple 2.8 for my track day car:

Std 885 head
                  M52B28 crank
                  chinese 130mm rods
                  IE 325 pistons (ended up to about 11 compression)
                  Schrick 304 and matching springs
                  Jenvey ITB setup
                  some bulk headers
                  aftermarket ecu

dynoed 258hp, revs to 7000, goes almost like S50

No wizardry was needed, just plumbing some shit together and run.

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
                    I wonder why people had this attitude 10 years ago.

I did a very very simple 2.8 for my track day car:

Std 885 head
                    M52B28 crank
                    chinese 130mm rods
                    IE 325 pistons (ended up to about 11 compression)
                    Schrick 304 and matching springs
                    Jenvey ITB setup
                    some bulk headers
                    aftermarket ecu

dynoed 258hp, revs to 7000, goes almost like S50

No wizardry was needed, just plumbing some shit together and run.
                    Because the OP wanted 250hp at the rear wheels. And that's still not plausible.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

There aren't many n/a 250whp (genuine) m20 around, it is certainly possible and they do exist It mostly comes down to the cylinder head/cam combo and induction/exhaust not the engine size
                      Last edited by digger; 08-15-2016, 05:25 AM.
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

ok, the original question was about using many std parts, just stroking and putting a cam and chip. I agree. It does not bring you 250rwhp. But the potential of the old 2-valve engine is underrated. It's not that bad as many think.

Comment

this thread is so old, turbo M20s weren't even doing 300whp yet..
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The big game changer is the RHD intake, previously it was a big effort to come up with suitable induction for making good Hp. the stock manifold is good upto a point 210-220 is difficult with it . Now it's much easier just order the kit and get a standalone and with a very standard nothing fancy build of 2.7/2.8 l you are ahead of what the big $$$ strokers of old managed to produce
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

ITB is the game changer. I've seen numerous projects where people try to get results with OEM manifolds, but they just suck when engine has serious mods like race cams, stroker bottoms and high compression.

Comment

it's specifically the RHD ITB kit though - the old Dbilas setup was really expensive and poor performing.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X