Standalone as a Solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standalone as a Solution?

So my car has had a ghost that has been haunting it for years now. It is running a poor air/fuel mixture which tends mostly to show "lean". I know it's lean because last year I installed an Innovate MTX-L wideband O2 sensor.

A couple months ago we thought the problem was solved by replacing the AFM. I have not been driving the car much as I've decided not to make it my daily so I've only put about 300 miles on it since the AFM was replaced. A few days ago I pulled the car out of the garage and noticed the problem was back. The wideband is pegged at full lean and the engine is running rough with some knocking. So "the ghost" is back.

My intention was to move over to Megasquirt but now I'm hesitant. The car was running great, compression numbers good, and timing seemed spot on. I think the problem is unburnt fuel because I smell gas in the exhaust while the wideband shows lean...

My question is can I essentially kill this ghost by moving over to standalone and perhaps wasted spark? And what sensors (including air intake metering)should I be considering? Any recommendations and caveats would be greatly welcomed!
    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

I wouldn't recommend changing management. That would be adding to the problem. Run a smoke test to make sure there aren't any vacuum leaks. You mentioned smelling gas in the exhaust, but the wideband shows lean. That would raise a flag to me. Did you install the wideband separate from the stock sensor?
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Excessively rich misfires can show up as a lean on a WB.
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

man, I'm so sorry you're still chasing this issue.

I think you had your injectors rebuilt right? And you replaced the FPR?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

To answer the questions above:

The WB sensor is in place of the stock sensor.

Injectors have been replaced a couple of times.

And the FPR has been replaced a couple of times.

My feeling is if I can monitor everything better it would pinpoint the problem. The stock engine management is just way too simple.
          My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Problem solved.

Apparently you can't let the O2 sensor on a wideband heat up without running the car...
            My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

oh, did you have it hard wired to the ignition? I always triggered mine along with the fuel pump relay. The only thing that was a pain was calibrating it, but I just jumped it at the relay for that.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                oh, did you have it hard wired to the ignition? I always triggered mine along with the fuel pump relay. The only thing that was a pain was calibrating it, but I just jumped it at the relay for that.
                Yeah. But no biggie. At least I know now... Thank goodness it wasn't something more elusive. Now I can move forward with my projects. :)
                My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Also, the E30 dumps a LOT of moisture on warm- up, and that seems to shorten WBO2 sensor life.
                  The 2002 used one sensor in 5 seasons of racing.
                  The E30's on its third in 4.
                  Sensors are in roughly the same place on both, heat- sunk, and target AFR's have been similar.

Just what I've noticed.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Wow. Well if I plan a road trip I'll pick up a spare.
                    I knew something was funky because the gauge went all over the place then pegged itself at full lean. Even if the car was running lean I would expect it to fluctuate at least a little bit.
                    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Awe man, glad you got that worked out I was worried you were still having issues. I still gotta make the drive down one of these days!
                      -Dee
                      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Installing a quality standalone ecu will not add to the problem! It will make it easier for you to identify exactly what the problem is. The difference in logging and error checking between 25 years old ECU's and modern day standalone is tremendous!

IMO it's the single most important thing that you can do before upgrading any hardware, internally or externally, on your car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
                          Problem solved.

Apparently you can't let the O2 sensor on a wideband heat up without running the car...

you cant have the sensor in the exhaust with engine running if the sensor isnt heated/being heated, it wont last that long.

it's perfectly fine to allow the sensor to heat up before starting the engine infact its how you get better life (assuming engine is in decent tune) My WB manual recommends it for better sensor life......... i know the innovate does not though for fear of shock. In my experience it doesn't cause premature failure. when i do cold start tuning i wait for 20sec ignition on as that's how long it takes to heat it up and be able get proper readings (display has a count down) so you can tune the post start enrichment and enrichment for the first few seconds of run time etc i have never had an issue. the only time ive had an issue was repeated rich misfire on a hot engine due to faulty TPS but that was alot of punishment over extended period
                          Last edited by digger; 08-13-2016, 11:12 PM.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

AAnnnd the ghost is back. SMGDH
                            My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

And now it's fine again. wtf

My feeling is something is up with the spark on occasion. I'm going to move over to MS and wasted spark.
                              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Working...
                              X