'91 318is - Start problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 318is - Start problems

Hello all... been years since I've posted, but the luck has run out. Wonderful timing (when mom is visiting and had multiple road trips planned to take her around...)

Car has been running fine - no telltale signs I can think of.

Here's the issue.

While running errands, the key decided not to go into last position 3 (Start) - it DOES go to ACC and ON (Pos. 1 & 2) just fine. Also squirted lubricant in - no joy. (Had steering wheel off the other day - could using the steering lock to torque the 22mm nut have contributed to this?)

A hurried search found that i could jump pins 11 & 14 in the diagnostic plug - thankfully found what I need in a O'Reilly's across the street. Got the car started.

Went to gas station for... well, gas... and when I jumped 11 & 14 again, the starter was churning just fine but no fuel delivery.

A bit of research and found out that I could jump pins 30 & 87 on the fuel pump relay to get it going - did and it worked (could hear buzzing from pump). CAr started.

Picked mom up from the airport and made sure not to turn car off until home.

In theory, this combo of manually jumping the fuel pump then jumping the starter w/ pins 11 & 14 should work again, but it isn't. Yes, the key is in the ON position (2).

What am I missing here????? What else happens in key position 3 besides activating the starter??

I've also heard that some have cut and spliced the starter wires that feed into the ignition stalk at the steering wheel column. Could I do that and what's the probability that would get me rolling again?? It would be 9 & 10 in this picture, right? ( http://s733.photobucket.com/user/gua...cc70b.jpg.html)

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

There's also notes on fixing it at the steering column. I can take the steering wheel off (just had it off to change the signal relay), but taking apart the ignition is unappealing as it seems very involved. I would want a detailed DIY before diving into that, which I have not found. Plus, getting parts so close to xmas will be near impossible.

ANY help is appreciated. I want to be able to take my mom around without getting stuck somewhere.... thanks in advance.

Henry
    Seattle, WA

Well Henry im terrible at solving wiring problems but ill give yer post a bump to the top.

I did find this about replacing the ignition switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv7vOPWd97E

Hope it helps good luck bud.

Comment

Turns out there was a piece between the tumbler and the switch (with a spring and plastic tab) that nobody has every mentioned, posted pictures of, or is even on the parts blowup in REALOEM.COM..... that was the culprit! I had to purchase an new steering lock housing to get that part (32321156446 ). The one I got from FCPeuro actually came with a new switch and horn activator already pre-installed. The pic attached was the culprit. A small aluminum bit and tiny spring (not the bigger one) were loose in there. I have NO idea where they belonged...

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Blackthorn View Post
        Well Henry im terrible at solving wiring problems but ill give yer post a bump to the top.

I did find this about replacing the ignition switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv7vOPWd97E

Hope it helps good luck bud.
        It did!!!! It especially helped my brain plan out my 'attack'. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X