Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting M42 on engine stand from the side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting M42 on engine stand from the side?

Has anyone successfully mounted an M42 to an engine stand on the side? Any particular tapped hole that would work best? I believe most are M8, including the engine mount, which was my first idea..

I would be a little hesitant to do it like that. The weight and offset of the engine will put a pretty sizable torque on the relatively small mount area (if you use the engine mount arm points) which could damage the block.

What are you doing with the engine that requires a side mount versus using the rear tranny mount points?

When I did a bunch of work on my built M42, I sat it (mostly assembled long block) down on the oil pan on top of some big foam scraps which gave me plenty of clearance for the flywheel and rear main seal, along with everything else.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Its down to the block and head so weight is limited but I get your point. I need to get the flywheel on and set the timing.

I didnt plan to get it off the stand so quick, but I Feel like I'm at an impasse now and need to get the flywheel on to finish timing =/

I could work off the crane but it will swing and be a PITA. so I'm just not sure.

Comment

Setting the timing is relatively easy really. No need to get the flywheel on there since only the M44 had the timing ring back there. You could just do that as a final step once the engine is back in the car.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Just get it to where you would install the chain, cover the front of the engine, install in the car and get it adjusted as you would normally. Or as bmwman said before, support it on something that's not the stand, like a tire, some modified 2x4s, or whatever you have laying around that will make it happen.

It's really not a big deal to do timing work in the engine bay as the radiator and fan are already removed. Besides, you cannot just drop in an engine/transmission assembly with the intake manifold in place, so it's not as if you could have ever installed a fully dressed engine from above.

Comment

Working...
          X