Tripped Screw Valve Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripped Screw Valve Cover

While changing valve cover gasket I noticed that one of the valve cover screws looks different than the rest. Like something got stripped.

Weird thing is, I have not tried tightening anything. The screw came out like this. Not sure how to proceed.

monoblanco
    www.passportsoccer.com

What?
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Looks fine to me. put them back in, and don't tighten them up too much. Just tappet cover after all.

If you suspect one bolt is dodgy, put it in the middle of one of the long edges, rather than on a corner.

Comment

Sorry if i was not clear.

None of the other screws i pulled out has this metal ring thingy on the threads, like this one does.

That's my concern.

Ill put it back in. In the worst of cases I'll end up with a leak.
        monoblanco
        www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

Is it just a washer? id just remove it, or leave it, it wont matter.

Or if you wanna get real paranoid, have a look on real-oem website, see if there is supposed to be a washer there. Dont waste too much time....

Comment

There's not supposed to be a washer where you have it pictured on an M42. It doesn't look like it stripped aluminum at all.

If that torque wrench if for the VC bolts color me impressed as many torque wrenches don't go that low with any real accuracy.

Comment

Take a close look at where it came out. That looks like a very crushed crush washer-
              or something... Get it outta there!

If all the threads look good, reassemble.

I'm with Rogue on the torque wrench- for the M42, use a 1/4" ratchet to tighten the bolts carefully a turn
              or 2 each, all the way around, until you feel that shoulder bottom against the head.

Then stop, you're done.

No tighter. Ever. Once the shoulder hits the head, all you can do is strip the threads.
              And it's really easy to do. In fact, if you try sucking down the cover with just a few bolts,
              you can pretty easily strip the threads.

What I've found, anywhich.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Would that ring possibly be from a heli-coil?
                I've got so many stripped holes, from prior owner(s), I'm going to have to find some other solution for tightening these. Probable helicoils.
                Any thoughts from others?
                1991 318is, AWII, Eibach/GC, Koni
                Riverside CA

Comment

Working...
                X