Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 E30 Starting issue

Hi Guys,

I am after some help, as my E30 is currently not starting.

I owned the car around 4 weeks, during that period the car was driving fine. One evening, I noticed coolant spraying over the engine bay. The coolant hose, hit the fan blade causing a leak. A considerable amount of fluid was lost and some fluid leaked around the relay's and electronics. The hose was replaced and the car started and ran fine, although I did hear a loudish noise coming from what sounded like underneath the car towards the rear. After reading into this I believe it was the fuel pump making the noise. I then drove the car about 15 minutes down the road, and the car has not started since.

The car was cranking over but no start. Suspecting the fuel pump was the issue, I jumped the fuel relay to see if I could hear it. I couldn't.

I then replaced the fuel pump, went to start but still does not fire up.

However now when I short pins 30 and 87, I can hear the pump.
    The main relay appears to be working as I hear it clicking when ignition is on.

I believe it is fuel related, as when I sprayed starter spray the car fired, then died.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Try to start the motor.
    Pull a spark plug. Does it smell like gas?
    Put the plug in the wire, hold it next to the strut tower, and have a friend crank. Does it spark?

When you answer those questions, there is more you can do.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Even if fuel is being pumped, it doesn't mean it is making it into the cylinders.
      Need to test to see if there is anything coming out of the injectors.

Could be:
      - bad/clogged injectors
      - clogged fuel filter
      - clogged fuel lines
      - C191 connector (the one sending power to injectors)
      - Fuel pressure regulator

Soo... need to find out if you are getting fuel to the cylinders and if you are not then work backwards to find out where the problem is.

Comment

Working...
      X