Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLD SOLD SOLD: Alpine 318is (PIC HEAVY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLD SOLD SOLD: Alpine 318is (PIC HEAVY)

JUMP DOWN TO POST 6 FOR LATEST HI-RES PICS

It's a 91 obviously, alpine white/natur, 189k miles. I've throughly cleaned and reworked the whole interior including a seat swap and it looks quite good now. Car is mechanically sorted end to end, and EVERYTHING works.

She's an illinois car so there was some rust to deal with. I've replaced the pass fender and both doors. There's still some rust underneath in the trunk area, mostly the rear of the battery tray, the inside of the jack area and the corners of the rear valance. Driver fender is rusty in the usual place too - lower part of the driver fender behind the front wheel. I've PORd everything but some minor weld repair is needed.

Looks really darn good now and runs great. Starts up great, idle is unbelievably smooth, engine temp is always dead center. plenty of power too - great with the 4.10 LSD. Once the remaining rust spots are dealt with she is ready for cosmetic attention (minor dent repairs and paint).

— clean title and no accidents per carfax
    — stock 318is with manual sunroof, central locking, power windows and mirrors, 14" basket weaves
    — alpine head unit with iPod 30pin interface (works with lightning adapter too)
    — billie sports
    — Eibach springs, freshly powdercoated
    — COP kit (coil on plug replacing stock coils)
    — E36 steering rack (much better steering)
    — M3 offset CABs
    — z3 shifter with new linkage hardware
    — Thicker front and rear sway bars

— fresh rebuild on motor including head, new rings and bearings, all new gaskets, seals and hoses, new upper and lower oil pans, rebuilt injectors. powder coated intake and valve cover
    — new Sachs clutch
    — all new fluids (PS, coolant, brakes, tranny, diff), new fuel filter
    — new radiator
    — r134 A/C conversion with a new (reman) A/C compressor and brand new OEM high pressure line (expensive!)
    — mtech 1 steering wheel (I have the airbag wheel too)
    everything works including the central locking (rebuilt the driver door cylinder)
    — bilsteins and eibach springs, M3 offset CABs. Eibachs are freshly powder coated, not mounted on the car yet.
    — upgraded sway bars front and rear, upgraded links in rear
    — brand new OEM cat back, mounting hardware and chrome exhaust tip
    — new brakes front and rear
    — new brake hard lines in rear
    — new rear wheel bearings
    — new ebrake cables
    new/restored rear subframe with e30tech welded camber and toe adjustment plates
    new gas tank
    — all new shifter hardware, z3 short shifter (nice and notchy, short throws)
    — completely reworked wiper linkage and motor (works perfectly. if you've ever done this you know what a horrific pain it is)
    — new OEM key
    — I added a 4:10 LSD
    — brand new IS lip
    — new RyanG splitter

downsides:
    - Everything's PORd, but I haven't finished some rust repair in the battery box and and driver's side trunk well, as well as a couple of spots on the rear valance (need to cut and weld about 3x3 inches or so on each end of the valance, in the black / undercoated area)
    - I still need to replace the PS reservoir hoses, but rest is done.
    - G240 trans has some grinding on downshifts when cold, unless you wait a couple of secs first, especially to 2nd and 1st gear.
    - needs new tires.
    - cracked dash (though it does have a dash cover). I have a crack-free dash available that can be negotiated.

PM me if you're interested. Will post more updated pics soon.

Looking for $4600, which is way less than what I have into the car. If you're in the Chicago area and are willing to turn some wrenches together we can work something out there too.

Some pics from this past summer below, more recent high res pics on post 6 further down in the thread (wheel caps, IS lip and RyanG splitter on the car now so you can ignore that).

Last edited by bradnic; 12-08-2014, 06:39 PM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

nice ride

Great buy for anyone who picks this up.

I just picked up my first e30, 91 red mint bone stock 318is for about your asking price, it has zero rust (that i can tell) but it needs some TLC due to being all original parts, suspension, seats, motor etc. could be refreshed ... this will all cost many $k's ... but it's fun work to do, it's one of reasons why one gets a e30 to begin with, cause you can actually work on the car.

For anyone that doesnt know these 318s are 200lbs lighter than the 325s, I LOLd when I first saw the manual sunroof crank, its too funny of a weight savings, something Lotus would do.

Comment

This is an amazing deal why do I live so far away! :( GLWS
      1991 318i - T-Boned
      1987 325is - Sold
      1991 318is - Current

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've spent over 800 hours on this thing, been through the whole car end to end. Bone stock except for suspension upgrades, mechanicals all refreshed, working A/C, interior is clean and functional..

Only thing left to do is listed in the "downsides". Not much really. We have 4 E30s and want to get down to 2. That's the only reason we're selling this one.

Here are the original Car & Driver and Road & Track articles about these cars.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

as she sits.
          Last edited by bradnic; 11-13-2014, 03:50 PM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Latest pics - HIGH RES

ADDITIONAL PARTS (COME WITH CAR)
            more detail follows
            - replacement driver seat belt receptacle (current one sticks a bit)
            - airbag steering wheel
            - OEM repair panels for trunk jack well and battery area
            - OEM fuel vent line cover
            - OEM throttle cable
            - freshly coated eibach springs (will probably mount before sale as I still need to get the rear end aligned after installation of the new subframe)

EXTERIOR

driver door

pass door

INTERIOR

dash cracks (I have a crack free dash available - to be negotiated)

TRUNK

jack area - note the perforation from the jack area rust. It's all heavily PORd but obviously you don't want to drive in the wet without repairing or at least sealing this first

ENGINE BAY

OEM replacement throttle cable included

new ac compressor (reman)

PO semi shaved the bay.. there are a couple of brackets that still need to be spot welded onto the inner fenders, for the airbox mounting bracket and the washer bottle

note brand new AC drier at bottom

need a new hood pad. they're cheap.

REAREND REBUILD

REMAINING RUST/BODY REPAIR ISSUES
            There are minor dents in a few places you'll have to deal with when prepping for paint. Nothing surprising so I'm not calling them out here.

Some rust repair is needed, but it's not severe and mostly in the rear of the car. I have a decent welder but need to practice some more before repairing these things. So I've PORd them for now and am including the OEM panels that are needed.

Driver's fender lower corner - usual spot. I'd probably just get a replacement, but this is definitely repairable

License plate area was ground down and PORd. could use some more attention though

battery area (most of the battery box is intact so this is not a hard repair).

jack well and rear valance. again not a hard repair - it's all on the inside edge of the trunk well and the repair panel takes care of it. rear valance looks nasty because I cut into it to check the damage. It just needs a patch. damage is below the black paint line and will be covered by undercoat after. so no big deal.

dent on pass side rocker from jack slip.
            Last edited by bradnic; 11-13-2014, 09:22 AM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Very nice, pm'ed.

Comment

No feelers.

It's for sale, or it's not.

Forum rules.
                Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Uh, forum rules just insist on a price in the listing afaik. There's a price in the listing. Thanks for looking though!

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

if I was still in Milwaukee I'd be all over this. Good job on being super detailed and lots of pics. 318is are the most fun you can have. Good luck with sale!
                    91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                    ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Bump for an honest post.

Comment

bump

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Bump for a super honest seller and excellent documentation of an e30's true condition rather than the "runs great" bs

Comment

Is it rusty Mcjenkins? Since it's in Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by heatmakerz View Post
                              Is it rusty Mcjenkins? Since it's in Chicago.
                              Do you need more pics? I tried to capture everything, and also said that I replaced the doors and pass fender. So the short answer to your question is it rusty, no.

There were some small areas with surface rust, mostly from chipped paint. They were on the front edge of the hood, rockers, deck lid weatherstrip area in the rear the rear quarter panel wheel openings. NONE of these spots were perforated. I ground those spots down to bare metal and applied POR to them, then touched up with some duplicolor. The goal of this was to stop any rust, apply rust proof and match the paint as best I could before a full paint job.

The only remaining rust work to do is also the most severe - the trunk wells under the car. There are plenty of pictures posted of this. It looks bad but it isn't because of the location and panels involved. Once the OEM repair panels are cut and welded in there will be NO trace of rust in these areas of the car and it will look like new.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                              X