ITN Rally, May 27-28, SOCAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITN Rally, May 27-28, SOCAL

I've done five of these (starting last summer), and they are FUN!!!!

What it is, in a nutshell: They give you some maps and directions (some of the directions could be vague or incomplete), and you need to figure out where the destinations ("checkpoints") are, how to get there, and then be there at a specific time of day. Legs are run on paved public roads, not closed to traffic. Each leg is timed to the nearest 1/100th of a second. There are multiple legs (stages), generally 1-2 per hour. You need a navigator to keep track of maps, locations and time. The event is set up so that you never need to break the speed limit, but are run on some very nice drivers roads, so you can have a little fun if you want.

There are lots of different types of cars competing, everything from BMWs to Hondas to rental cars. However, it doesn't really matter what car you drive since it's not a "speed" event; success depends on good navigating and timing.

I've done 3 events in my E46 coupe, 2 in a PT cruiser, and the next event I'll be using my new (to me) E30 325is. A specially prepared car is not required. This IS NOT a WRC-type rally.

The next event is on Memorial day weekend. It's a 12-hour all-night event. Start and end location is Lebec, CA (near Grapevine on 5). From what I hear, it will be an epic event on some awesome roads. Yes, it's all night, but these are the best events (no traffic, for one thing).

Check out their site, they have a video you can download that explains how the event runs. http://carzero.freeservers.com/

There are generally a good number of Subarus attending, and there is a very active thread about this event here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983670

-Steve

looks neat but too far for me

Comment

Originally posted by 32.5i
      looks neat but too far for me
      Yeah, that would be a trek. But you wouldn't have come the farthest. A few people actually came down from the bay area. I on the other hand "only" drove down from San Luis Obispo. The event ended up being about 600 miles long, and my E46 racked up about 1000 miles in less than 24 hours (16 hours of driving).

The rally was really amazing. Very well written and executed. There were two really good mazes. It was the first 12-hour event I've done, and the first all-nighter (and certainly not the last). About 10-11 hours into the event we were pretty beat and didn't think we would make it, I guess Red Bull and caffein can only go so far... :)

I highly recommend that you check out the next event. It will only be about 8 hours, and will start and end in the LA area. There will even be a brief class to bring beginners up to speed.

-Steve

Comment

Working...
      X