Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the easiest way to run wires from the engine bay to the cabin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the easiest way to run wires from the engine bay to the cabin?

anyone? is it best to go through the whole in the firewall where the clutch master cyl. is? whats the easiest way to get the wire through seeing as how its such a tight fit?

TIA
    Ryan

You could also try by the tranny and go through the shifter, or through the firewall that the plug to the ecu goes to.

Comment

Originally posted by doucy2 View Post
      You could also try by the tranny and go through the shifter, or through the firewall that the plug to the ecu goes to.
      hmmm... I imagine anywhere through the firewall is going to be a tight fit and kind of hard to get to... through the shifter might be a good alternative although I dont know how well the wire will hold up and how to secure it properly.....

Comment

zip-tie technology will hold it secure :) and there is pleanty of room.
        the firewall by the ecu is a lot easier to get to than the other side.

btw what is this wire for??

Comment

i was gonna run a wire from my city lights to my keyless entry to flash when i lock/unlock the car.
          I was also thinking of running a wire from my aux fan to a switch in the cabin so I can control it manually. The fan isnt kicking on for some reason and I even bought a new temp switch so I though this might be an easy work around and it would be kind of nice to be able to control it manually

Comment

I drilled two 7/8th in holes in the firewall for wires.. but I was running everything for my MS.. (injectors, coil, VR, CLT, AIT, power, fuel pump, tps, wideband, grounds, oil pressure, oil temp...) On the driver's side I snaked a vac line through for my boost gauge.
            :: PNW Crew ::
            '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

There is a rectangular rubber grommet that all the wiring from your fuse box runs through (3"x4"). It is closer to the fender than your master cyl's. Only about half of the holes have wires running through them. Seems, seeing as how all other wires run through this passage, that it would be the ideal place. I ran wires through this a few times. To get the best view of it you must be on your back in the floor board looking up into the firewall area. Yes, then its all upsidedown, but oh well.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                There is a rectangular rubber grommet that all the wiring from your fuse box runs through (3"x4"). It is closer to the fender than your master cyl's. Only about half of the holes have wires running through them. Seems, seeing as how all other wires run through this passage, that it would be the ideal place. I ran wires through this a few times. To get the best view of it you must be on your back in the floor board looking up into the firewall area. Yes, then its all upsidedown, but oh well.
                I'll have to check that out...Im quiet familiar with sitting upsidedown in my drivers seat with my head in the pedals from doing the mast cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidty View Post
                  I'll have to check that out...Im quiet familiar with sitting upsidedown in my drivers seat with my head in the pedals from doing the mast cylinder.
                  well then, in that position it is down/up to your right. :)
                  sigpic

Comment

you could always pass the wire through the door window, just remember not to close the window all the way, or you might damage the wire...

Hey, he did say "EASIEST WAY" lol
                    This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Correct, he did. I guess mine is the most correct way, not the easiest persay.
                      sigpic

Comment

The easiest way is to clip the end off one of the small extra pass-throughs where the engine harness passes through the firewall on the passenger side. That's a lot easier to reach than the power gromet by the master cylinder (bot from in the engine bay and from the cabin.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                        X