MAF Setup suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAF Setup suggestions?

Im looking at doing an MAF conversion on my car and ive done some research about the conversion it self but im curious as to what you guys have done and what it cost. Ive looked at SplitSecond and i like thier set up because its all in one package, no hunting around for parts and such, pretty much no headaches. But im curious what you guys think, what sort of power you made and more importantly what it cost. I have several spare parts and a car im selling so with that money i hope to make the car one fo teh faster e30s again since when i built it there was like 1 turbo e30 and that was about it for the faster e30s :(

I'm using an apexi SAFC-II with a 96 328i Siemens MAF and tuning with an LC-1 wideband O2. Also I got a brand new e34 m20 variable tps.

SAFC-II: $210 shipped
    328i MAF: $55 shipped
    LC-1 wideband: $206.50 shipped
    Variable tps: $53 shipped
    Variable tps 6 pin plug: Free

so total I spent $524.5

I could have gotten the split second setup for around that but I have the ability to tune better with this setup, plus I got to try something different from the norm.

Comment

cool thank you.

Comment

so how many hp did u gain for $524?

was it worth the money?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

I was running an SMT6 with an S/M52 MAF and an LC-1. SMT6 was around $300, MAF was $70, LC-1 was $200.
          HP gains were minimal, if any. But there was a big improvement with throttle response.
          I've since removed and sold everything, because I needed funds for school and other projects.
          Was is worth it? For the learning experience, yes. For the gains? Probably not.

Comment

Was is worth it? For the learning experience, yes. For the gains? Probably not.
            I agree with that statement. I did this for the learning experience and I knew I would get much better throttle response. As far as power I knew there wouldn't be much of an increase. I would have to say its like running a properly tuned m30 afm.
            Now just the other day I got my hands on a bosch 3.5" maf from a 94 740i and am in the middle of tuning that. I have a couple of lean/rich spots to iron out after I get my new adjustable fpr hooked up. With the 3.5" maf I didn't really notice anything at the low end but at higher rpms there is a nice improvement. I am using 20#injectors from a 2003 Saab turbo right now. I will end up getting some 24# shortly.

Comment

how about with a non-stock motor? I can't imagine the M20 afm works especially well for an engine that is 329cc larger..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by mcgrath
                I'm using an apexi SAFC-II with a 96 328i Siemens MAF and tuning with an LC-1 wideband O2. Also I got a brand new e34 m20 variable tps.

SAFC-II: $210 shipped
                328i MAF: $55 shipped
                LC-1 wideband: $206.50 shipped
                Variable tps: $53 shipped
                Variable tps 6 pin plug: Free

so total I spent $524.5

I could have gotten the split second setup for around that but I have the ability to tune better with this setup, plus I got to try something different from the norm.
                You should do a writeup, sounds interesting.

Comment

i would be much more interested in a MAP setup personally, anyone done that?
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

well we did some checks on my engine over teh weekend and found that any sort of air and fuel at teh upper rpm will yield significant gains. my cam is screaming for more and isnt getting it. the chip that was burned smoothed out all the rich and lean spots but the curves flatten out where the cam wants to keep going. so ill try the m30 AFM, BBTB and 19lb Injectors with a AFPR and we will see.

Comment

I just bought a new 1bar map sensor from summit racing. It was in the MSD catalog. I couldn't get the engine to run right at all but I might have just had something setup wrong. It will be up for sale soon with a brand new plug with pig tail if anyone is interested pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgrath
                        I agree with that statement. I did this for the learning experience and I knew I would get much better throttle response. As far as power I knew there wouldn't be much of an increase. I would have to say its like running a properly tuned m30 afm.
                        Now just the other day I got my hands on a bosch 3.5" maf from a 94 740i and am in the middle of tuning that. I have a couple of lean/rich spots to iron out after I get my new adjustable fpr hooked up. With the 3.5" maf I didn't really notice anything at the low end but at higher rpms there is a nice improvement. I am using 20#injectors from a 2003 Saab turbo right now. I will end up getting some 24# shortly.
                        why would you need 24#?
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

The mod is from an e36. to use the 3.5" maf you need a special chip and 24# injectors. Unless my fpr will do the trick I will have to get 24# injectors because the 20# injectors lean out.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgrath View Post
                            The mod is from an e36. to use the 3.5" maf you need a special chip and 24# injectors. Unless my fpr will do the trick I will have to get 24# injectors because the 20# injectors lean out.

is the FPR used to "squeeze" more fuel out or what?

and won't motronic cut it back anyways to get the correct afr?

Comment

Working...
                            X