No announcement yet.

Any Way to Quiet Input Shaft Bearing Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is the layshaft and unloaded gears (especially reverse) oscillating.

A light flywheel makes the noise worse as there is more variation in input speed.

Heavier transmission oil adds drag and cushions the gears better, reducing the noise.

Shimming the layshaft and replacing the layshaft end bearings with tighter ones will eliminate the noise. At least until things loosen up again.

Comment

I put in RP Synchromax into my really badly rattling getrag, didn't help much at all. My loopy idle doesn't help though.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by DJB View Post
        The problem is the layshaft and unloaded gears (especially reverse) oscillating.

A light flywheel makes the noise worse as there is more variation in input speed.

Heavier transmission oil adds drag and cushions the gears better, reducing the noise.

Shimming the layshaft and replacing the layshaft end bearings with tighter ones will eliminate the noise. At least until things loosen up again.
        The trans he has uses ATF so there is not really a heaver oil that you can put into it. I guess you could try like 75w-90 but I don't know what it might do.
        Originally posted by KingB
        Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Originally posted by HST View Post
          The trans he has uses ATF so there is not really a heaver oil that you can put into it. I guess you could try like 75w-90 but I don't know what it might do.
          Actually, I think that Lucas ATF treatment might do the trick. It's kinda thick.

Comment

Originally posted by HST View Post
            I don't think it matters. my trans originally was filled with ATF, I drained that out a long time ago and filled it with redline.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X