Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know when my CSB has crapped out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I know when my CSB has crapped out?

might be a stupid question but when I am on the freeway at high speeds I get a loud hum and some bad vibrations. I am perplexed as to what could be the problem. Does my crank shaft need to be balanced?

any ideas where I should specifically investigate?

Jake
    Originally posted by Hawt drift chick
    Yeah, i'm a good dude i swear, i just like to be balls to the wall.

The usual failure mode for the CSB is a failure of the rubber mount, which will cause thumping/banging from under the car during hard accelerations (especially in the lower gears). And the cause of that is almost always a failure of the drive shaft u-joints. This sort of failure is easily diganosed by a visual inspection of the CSB. Rarely, the CSB bearing can fail and that can only be diagnosed after removing the drive shaft.

A failing guibo can cause vibrations (again subject to a visual inspection). Speed dependent noise from the drive train can also be caused by the differential, wheel bearings, or tires.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

my car had the wheel bearings changed at 88,000 miles and there's now 106,000 on my car. the guibo was changed at 97,000 miles. and a few months ago i put in an 3.73 lsd. tires were put on new at 103,000 and i doubt they need balancing already. could be the diff i guess.

whats involved in fixing the diff and what would need to be fixed? considering i have speed dependent noise from the drive train
      Originally posted by Hawt drift chick
      Yeah, i'm a good dude i swear, i just like to be balls to the wall.

Comment

The noise:
        -Sounds like the wheel from "wheel of fortune".
        - Correlates to wheel rotation, not RPM.
        - Really loud, undrivable.
        - Pretty much constant, happens loud under braking, intermittent during turning.

According to the GF outside car:
        Comes from underneath the cabin, equally loud on both sides. Like it's coming from the driveshaft tunnel.

When I jacked up the rear of the car and turned the wheels, there was a slight noise coming from the driveshaft underneath the exhaust.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=87401
        Originally posted by KingB
        Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Working...
        X