late model e34 525i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

late model e34 525i

anyone have experience with them? How is the AC, do they generally work well? My mom needs a car with good AC.

Yes, Pretty good, yea.
    sigpic

Comment

After almost 20 years, sure it might, it might not. Not giving any info about a car means that no one can say anything about if it is good or not. Did they work well 20 years ago, yes.

Andy

Comment

I've owned quite a few E34's. Depending on what motor (there were 2 different motors in the 525i...a 12 valve M20 pile of crap and a 24 valve M50 slightly better pile of crap.) Both versions are pretty reliable...the 24 valve being the one to own of course. You say 'late model' so I assume you are looking at a mid-90's 525i.

The easiest way for me to answer you: I sold my mom a 1989 E34 535i (130k when I sold it to her) that she drove for years...finally around 200k, the trans gave up...the rest of the car was fully functioning and in good shape...E34's hold up well...but just like any car...if you neglect them...they will rape your bank account.

E34 A/C is a 7 out of 10 at best (when functioning properly)...the systems are pretty durable and as long as you keep it charged, it should work ok.

Comment

I have a 93 525i (24v as stated above), A/C is ICE cold, make sure you replace the cabin filter and clean the area where the filter goes.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

My A/C blows super cold.
            91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

The AC works...but SUPER cold? Go sit in my wife's Envoy XL and turn the AC on...THAT is SUPER cold...7/10 at best for E34 A/C...but for a 20 year old car...that's still not bad.

Comment

You can't really compare that with an American car, they do air conditioning and cup holders really well.

The AC in an e34 as long as it is in proper working condition will be just fine. I used my car for trips to Vegas every summer. Kept me confortable while stuck on strip traffic in 115+ heat. That said I've only been in r12 cars, I am sure a properly converted car would work well too.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e34john View Post
                  You can't really compare that with an American car, they do air conditioning and cup holders really well.
                  I can compare it to any car with A/C. OP didn't ask how E34 A/C's compare to other German cars...he asked 'how is the AC'...to which I gave a very concise and accurate answer.

Let me answer it like this: "The E34 A/C system is RAD...unless you are comparing to a GOOD A/C system."

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                    I have a 93 525i (24v as stated above), A/C is ICE cold, make sure you replace the cabin filter and clean the area where the filter goes.
                    Exactly.

Comment

My ac is colder than my wife's 12 corolla. It has been leak proof by the previous owner though. The m50v gets 29-31 mpg on the hwy but suck ass in the city.
                      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Working...
                      X