Any Way to Quiet Input Shaft Bearing Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Way to Quiet Input Shaft Bearing Noise

My brother is complaining to me because he's found that his transmission is noisy when idling in neutral with the clutch out. He describes the sound to be similar to a loose bolt in the bellhousing.

I've told him 3-4 times that it's most likely his input shaft bearing and it's amplified by the fact that he has a lightened flywheel and his Getrag is one that uses ATF. We put RP Syncromax in it.

What I wanted to know is if it is safe to put a thicker gear oil in the tranny or if there are any other tricks to get the transmission and him to STFU.

Tell him to drive in reverse, for 5 miles to "unwind" the differential girdle bearing, and that will cause the lunar wayne shaft to return to the osmilality of the phase getractor.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pbVY5teBzlg

Comment

You need to change the input bearing on the tranny. It is the typical getrag rattle. Thank god my cars don't make it...yet. I don't think a thicker oil with cure it.
      :: PNW Crew ::
      '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
        Tell him to drive in reverse, for 5 miles to "unwind" the differential girdle bearing, and that will cause the lunar wayne shaft to return to the osmilality of the phase getractor.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pbVY5teBzlg
        LOL... I've seen it before but it still make me ROFL everytime I see it.

I'm gonna just tell him to stop being a big waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles and live with it.

Comment

A lightweight flywheel will rattle in neutral even with perfect bearings on the tranny input shaft. Tell your brother to get used to it, or to swap out the flywheel for one of standard weight.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

mine rattles. it's loud. Oh well. :p

yes, my flywheel is lightened.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have the same problem, it sucks. Maybe tell him to spray some WD-40 in to the bellhousing to lube it up :)

Comment

Why would a lightened flywheel rattle?
                Originally posted by KingB
                Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Originally posted by HST View Post
                  Why would a lightened flywheel rattle?
                  Less centrifical force on the input shaft was my guess?

It's much better since we fixed the idle problem.

Comment

My car makes this noise pretty loudly, is it bad just to leave it like that and deal with it? Am I damaging anything by doing so?

Comment

i thought that noise was usually a TOB?

Comment

Originally posted by zydio View Post
                        i thought that noise was usually a TOB?
                        it's similar, but not always caused by the TOB. there's a reason the term "getrag rattle" was coined...
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yep, getrag rattle, the reason i have to hold the clutch in at drive-throughs, instead of them thinking my car will fall apart.
                          (mine may have a bit of TOB noise?)

get better Wi-Fi reception!

Do you need a stronger wireless signal or greater network access? I'm Mark Erickson, and this is Infinite Solutions. In this episode, I'll show you a simple ...

Comment

I used to hold my clutch in, but now I realy don't give a fuck. :p

actually it works out great at the border crossing, because they don't give me crap for driving a BMW when it sounds like it's going to fall apart!
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Actually, my brother put RP Syncromax in his tranny and after a week of driving most the noise has gone away. Now you can barely hear it when he's got it in neutral with the clutch out.

Comment

Working...
                              X