No announcement yet.

Best Stroker Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just checked IE's site and it looks like they no longer sell the forged crank.....sorry.

Never had a 2.9L stroker, but a pal (6 Piston) has a 2.7L stroker with stock cam and it's a lotta fun. Much more power than a stock 2.5L. Of course he does have the engine tuned with a Unichip piggyback unit....but it's basically a bare bones stroker. IMO, it's plenty of power for a very enjoyable E30.

Comment

i am going to do the 2.7i and put a cam and lighten flywheel in i think that will be nice for the money.
      Bobby

'87 325 (Track Rat)
      '04 C5500 Wrecker (Work)
      '94 525i (Daily)
      '90 325i (R.I.P)
      H&R Race, Racing Dynamics Sway Bars, Tree House CAB's, Sparco Strut Bars and more.

Comment

don't forget tuning...........SMT6 can be self tuned, and a Unichip piggyback will be tuned on the dyno at every 1000rpm. I saw appx 15rwhp &10rwtq gains just from the proper tuning.

Comment

do not go to korman unless you have uber money, they charge out the ass.....like 200+ bucks for a fucking powdercoated valve cover

Comment

If you were to buy the 2.9L or 3.0L from IE what else would be needed other than what comes in the kit? From what i understand from the previous posts, bigger injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and a piggy back system are recommended. I'm just trying to get an idea on how much total it would cost to stroke a M20. Also what is a normal price to get the block bored?

Comment

This two crank thing is weird to me. I never heard of IE offering more than one crank. :?:
              -Ted

Comment

Hey Ted.... I noticed IE no longer offered the forged Cosworth crank about 6-8mths ago. The cast 3.0L crank is what was sold in their kit, and you had the option to upgrade to the forged crank for extra $$. I got mine for the same price since they screwed up my piston order.

LikeCdoos: all the other parts just help maximize the strokers potential. You could just put in the kit, but since the engine is out you might as well do it all at one go. Below is a list that might help:

-more aggressive cam (the dual pattern cam worked great on Ted's, and a pal has a Schrick 288/288 on his 3.0L, mine is 272/272)
                -MAF
                -adj. FPR
                -larger injectors
                -larger valves
                -headers/extractors
                -larger & preferably single exhaust piping to a performance silencer (Ted had great results from his new exhaust system, and a pal out here has a similar setup with great results)
                -Unichip or other piggyback to tune the beast & the MAF
                -3.73 or 3.64LSD
                -replace all worn stock parts during rebuild

Obviously there is more you could do, but the above mentioned would be beneficial........and costly.

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                  how much more was the forged crank?

is the 3.0l kit worth it over the 2.9l kit?
                  I say yes!
                  Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                    how much more was the forged crank?

is the 3.0l kit worth it over the 2.9l kit?
                    I was going to go 2.9, but when it came time to buy the kit, I figured why do it half-assed. It's only $500 difference, so I just got the 3.0L
                    -Ted

Comment

There is also Pete McHenry (one of the Technical Sevice Advisors in the roundel) who is the master of interchanging factory BMW parts and making it all work. Other then the obvious Alpina, Hartge, etc in Europe, he was probably one of the first boys on the NA continent to perform quality strokerage. His 3.0L method is a little different than IE's. Back to when I had to make a choice between the two, I opted for Pete's method. I had my bottom end sent to him a few years ago, and to this day, my M20 3.0L runs like a champ!

Comment

Working...
                      X