this is not for an e30, but i would love to get some timing chain help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is not for an e30, but i would love to get some timing chain help

now I made sure all the marks lined up before taking it off the sprockets, including the vibration dampner on the left sprocket(i marked a strait line down with a marker)....

now this is the problem, the chain went back on perfectly but on the left sprocket the vibration dampner and the sprocket did not line up as it did before. one thing to note is when I was tightening the other sprocket it did click a little and jump which I believe is what caused this misalignment.

so I thought when the timing chain lines up at the sprocket, it is at TDC in piston #1 but apparently it is "approximately" 60 degrees after TDC(according to haynes manual)

so my question is how do I determine when piston 1 is at 60 degrees after TDC and what do they mean "approximately" 60 degrees after TDC? that terminology sounds not so safe for a job like this...

thank you so much in advance.

pics of sprockets? what kind of engine is this?

Comment

Originally posted by charlescho View Post
      now I made sure all the marks lined up before taking it off the sprockets, including the vibration dampner on the left sprocket(i marked a strait line down with a marker)....

now this is the problem, the chain went back on perfectly but on the left sprocket the vibration dampner and the sprocket did not line up as it did before. one thing to note is when I was tightening the other sprocket it did click a little and jump which I believe is what caused this misalignment.

so I thought when the timing chain lines up at the sprocket, it is at TDC in piston #1 but apparently it is "approximately" 60 degrees after TDC(according to haynes manual)

so my question is how do I determine when piston 1 is at 60 degrees after TDC and what do they mean "approximately" 60 degrees after TDC? that terminology sounds not so safe for a job like this...

thank you so much in advance.
      We need an application please (year,make,model,engine size).
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Why not line everything up at TDC? Why put it at 60* off? Why didnt you mark both cams with a marker? Why not mark the old chain and sprockets on the same positions, then transfer those marks to the new chain so it doesnt matter where the engine is? Why do you spell "straight", "strait"? WHY

Comment

if its anything like the N14 (mini cooper S motor) it all happens with the piston half way up in the cylinder. you need to use the pins to lock the different components in place

Comment

got it figured out guys

i guess this engine (2.7 chrysler) has its #1 piston 60' after TDC when all the notches line up....it was definitely a learning experience.

and i am sorry i spelt straight, strait but again thanks for all the help guys

Comment

bicycle?

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
              click here for details

Comment

Working...
              X