No announcement yet.

M20 with ZF Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually got a zf tranny i pulled off a euro spec m20. It was direct fitment didnt sit funny or anything. Have never been able to find out what it is or if its original to car. I got it laying in my drive. I believe it needs a 2nd gear synchro.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

IIRC some of the diesel engines shared the same engine tilt as the M20, so I'd start with looking there

Edit: last page I think Haoming/Nisse say an E34 525tds comes with that sort of offset ZF
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        I actually got a zf tranny i pulled off a euro spec m20. It was direct fitment didnt sit funny or anything. Have never been able to find out what it is or if its original to car. I got it laying in my drive. I believe it needs a 2nd gear synchro.

E34 525td / tds have a zf 5 speed with m20 tilt and diesel gearing. Externally should look like any gas zfsg320
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

But which output shaft is on it? Which driveshaft?

Comment

Garage30 driveshaft adapter did the trick great

Comment

would you swap a newly rebuilt g260 for a zf
              asking as friend has a spare and it seem so light compare to g260.
              aloha

Comment

M20 with ZF Possible?

Originally posted by fporro View Post
                would you swap a newly rebuilt g260 for a zf
                asking as friend has a spare and it seem so light compare to g260.
                aloha

Depends on who built it?

If it's actually been fitted with
                6x brand new Synchronizers +
                A full set of brand new bearings - bmw specific weird stuff
                + all the Misc bullshit that wears in these boxes...

The answer would be pretty damm simple. Cost of that gearbox in parts would be more than the average e30;

If it's been r3vtard "rebuilt" I.e. mainly spray painted to look not dirty

......a random used ZF would be a much better idea

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Hi everyone I've just joined the group.

I'm really interested in this question im currently running turbo m20 2.7

The zf option really interest's me for the strength as i plan to run more boost so I'd like to know if anyone can help me on the options i have when swapping in a zf to an m20 that can handle power and torque.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Art5 View Post
                    But which output shaft is on it? Which driveshaft?

So what driveshaft/adaptor/trans brace combo did you end up going with? Found a good score on a zf with all the bits and pieces. What price would you say is good for a zf with driveshaft all the parts you'd need to swap it into another e36 plus a driveshaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the 6 speed zf from the E9x 335/E6x 535 a suitable option for a turbo m20 build?

Comment

Originally posted by TurboDirty View Post
                        Is the 6 speed zf from the E9x 335/E6x 535 a suitable option for a turbo m20 build?
                        much smarter to use the e46 euro 320d zf 6 speed unit as the angle of bellhousing attachment MATCH the m20.

will be plenty strong as well; its for a turbocharged diesel making much better torque than a gasser

Comment

1990 325I Auto -e39 zf 5 speed swap

Hi all!

I am new to this forum so thanks for having me!

I came across a free 1998 528 zf 5 speed tranmission, so I have decided to drop it on my 1990 325 m20 engine. I notice the tilt and custom brace that is needed, however the factory auto driveshaft is too short.

Will a e30 325 5 speed manual driveshaft be long enough or is there another perfect fit for the m20 and zf 5 speed combination.

PLEASE HELP!

Cheers and thank you!

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but reading it a still remains unanswered and I'm hoping some of the members who've said they've done this swap can chime in.

What driveshaft did you use? Will the E36 driveshaft work? I've got one and measured it up and it seems really tight. I'm spending some money rebuilding it I don't want to do all that if its not going to fit...

Comment

Working...
                            X