5 speed manual swap wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed manual swap wiring question

While stripping down my new e30, i completely removed the automatic wiring harness. this includes the plug next to the shifter, the wires for the reverse lights, the "start relay", and i believe a ground. i also removed all cruise control components. the only thing that worries me is the start relay. from what i've read i either have to jump some terminals, splice some wires, or move some plugs. ALL i want is for the car to start and drive. no need for clutch switch, cruise control, reverse lights, anything. what do i need to do? any wires from a manual car is no problem, if i need them. here are three options i came across in my research.

this is from a thread on e30tech:

Here is the wiring for cruise:

Find C143 under the dash and disconnect it. It is Bu/BR wire to GN/BK wire from pin 3 on cruise control unit to start relay. Having power applied to this wire continuously (as in neutral or park) disables the cruise. Just disconnect and tuck back into harness.

Find C208. It is a GN/RD 2-wire connector that will have a GN/RD jumper attached to it. Remove jumper and connect it to the clutch switch. Leave it in for the time being if you didn't get a clutch switch, but it is a really bad idea since you can depress clutch and have it hit the rev limiter if cruise engaged.

Reverse switch wires are supposed to connect to C301, which is GN/WT and BU/WT. Trace back the GN/YL and BU/WT wires from auto range switch through C306 to C301. This is OEM connection point. Alternative is to just splice at the shifter location to the GN/YL and BU/WT wires and not bother removing harness segment back to C301.

You can pull the start relay and jump relay pins 30 and 87 to permanently enable the starting cirucit. Alternatives are to trace BK wire back to C200 and BK/YL wire back to C241 from start relay and jumper two connectors to eliminate starter relay base or trace BK/YL wire from C241 further back to C101 and jumper it to BK wire at C200.

This is what I was told quite some time ago.
    this is from a thread on r3v. it is my favorite option, except i dont really get it

Originally posted by dr.strangelove View Post
    Basically, remove the whole harness.

the one catch is this.

that black yellow wire that comes from the car (shown in black plug) connects in place of the (automatic's) harness's black wire.

it goes here.

that's it! it sounds odd since i wrote it the way i think, but that's the short of it. As for the two clutch switch plugs, there is one that comes from a large loom of wires from above, and i hooked that up to the top clutch switch, and there is another smaller harness, that runs along the bottom, and i hooked that up to the bottom switch.

You are left with a blue and green wire plug that plugs right into the reverse wiring from the transmission.

all cars are set up as manual but that harness is added to make it automatic. that black yellow plug replaces the black plug that comes on the harness.
    this is from yoshi's writeup. i do not like this option.

Wiring:
    Here is the part most people get hung up on. Wire the two green/black wires and green/yellow wire and connect all of them to one of the reverse light wiring. The other reverse switch wire goes to the blue/white wire. Cap off the brown wire. This will get your reverse lights to work and your car to start.

This will not work for cruise control. I hear you need to separate the two green/black wires via a switch to tell the car you are in drive but I am not too sure about this. Who needs it anyway.

Bmw

Do you need a clutch safety switch

Comment

E30s don't have clutch safety switches. the clutch switch is only for cruise control operation (and a second switch for ABS on the ix).
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The most simple way

The most simpleffective way is to splice the three green wires at the connector for the shifter from the old auto shifter. (The car side of the connector not the shifter side)

Comment

Originally posted by fancypants7777 View Post
          The most simpleffective way is to splice the three green wires at the connector for the shifter from the old auto shifter. (The car side of the connector not the shifter side)
          But then you are left with the starter interrupt relay in the circuit (neutral safety aka failure point). That black/yellow wire is the best and not any more difficult than splicing the wires under the shift boot. The knee bolster has to come off when installing the pedals, so a simple unplug here and plug in there. This also retains cruise control if it still works in your car. Splicing the wires in the boot deletes cruise.
          Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 04-05-2017, 02:32 PM.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
          X