M20 with ZF Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
    If u find a diesel ZF 525tds E34 for example its bolt on with stock gearbox mounts etc.
    A M3 E36 3.2 6 speed 420g fits just as good as a ZF 320 btw.

i wish we had the 525 tds ZF 5 speed; it would just pop in place of the G260 and would be great replacement for a stock engine e30

and the e46 320D 6 speed was the best option for a M20 as its both m20 angle and 6 gears :)
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
      i wish we had the 525 tds ZF 5 speed; it would just pop in place of the G260 and would be great replacement for a stock engine e30

and the e46 320D 6 speed was the best option for a M20 as its both m20 angle and 6 gears :)
      Yeah 6 speed is nice :D Do the E46 320d gearbox still use the "old style" input shaft etc? Like a ZF 320?
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
        Yeah 6 speed is nice :D Do the E46 320d gearbox still use the "old style" input shaft etc? Like a ZF 320?
        All the 2005+ zf 6 speeds have a 22 spline involute style spline. 320d, 330i, e92 328i, 128i, etc
        135 and 335 n54 early also use this
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
          I have supplied a lot of braces for odd engine/trans/chassis combos. From e21 to e30, ranging with all of the common transmissions.
          I wonder how close it would be if you took your G260-for-M5x swap brace and flipped it around the other way. The holes are slotted for adjustment, correct? I feel like it would work.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Do the early 525 e34's use the getrag 260? Would this be synonymous to the e30's getrag 260? Will it bolt up?

Also, will the manual m50 car's (late e34 and e36) transmission be able to bolt up to a m20b25, pending the modification in the transmission brace?

Sorry if it was repeated, I am in the same boat as OP, kinda.
            2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
            (Daily Driver)
            Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
            KW V2 Coilovers
            VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

And of course no one meant to disclose one very important part of this swap-pilot bearing difference!?

Comment

Didn't think it was different, but at least they're really cheap and easy to change.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Yes, but if you need it now and no strore has them, you're screwed for few days.i wasted 2 full days going crazy with clutch alignment etc, until today , mechanic tried helping me and we almost argued over that stupid 3mm. E36 motors use bigger inner diameter pilot bearings. I am tired of seeing this car on stands in my frend's driveway when i have over $2K interior to pickup and install.
                  Also there are only 4 large bolts that can be used plus 2 starter bolts. If you have extra M20 transmission housing adapter, you can mark and drill holes for smaller bolts prior installing transmission. If it did not start raining, I would see how M50-G260 transmission bracket works on M20-ZF swap.
                  Last edited by Art5; 09-12-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I put tranny braket in, the one I used to have in my M50/G260 before. Lower part in on the left side. So far right side is way higher than left, but maybe it is that retard that made that tranny bracket for me or possibly bad motor mount. Will find out when I get newer E21 one tranny mount and Revshift guibo.

Comment

Yep, its definitely the bracket.
                      I used stock E30 Getrag260 bracket and no problem there at all.
                      Problem bolting on driveshaft to REVSHIFT guibo. had to take tranny tail off and grind grooves for nuts and a little off nuts too.
                      Last edited by Art5; 09-29-2015, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Update: I had driveshaft on and off 4 times and changed center bearing few times, installing it all different ways. I made a mistake using Revshift guibo with m20/ZF set up. I cannot align driveshaft and it seems to be too tight.
                        Last edited by Art5; 01-15-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Just thought about something. Since i am using 325i driveshaft and revshit guibo, I could try 325E driveshaft from 87-88, without revshift. Going to look for one now.

Comment

Ended up ordering another driveshaft adapter

Comment

I can use m20 flywheel and clutch on zf 320 transmission?
                              sigpic

Comment

Thats what I used. Need to use starter for m20 too

Comment

Working...
                                X