M30 engine mount plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 engine mount plans

So I'm after the plans for the e30-m30 engine mounts. I'm aware there are different positions for them. I'm welder by trade so, I'm happy to fab them up myself and save a few dollars. Any leads would be amazing. Thank you

Is it a b34 or b35? The passenger mount will differ between the two.

Also, I found no plans with a decent amount of searching when I made mine, so I just hung the motor in there and got it where I wanted it and tacked some up. I did the trans crossmember first to hold the motor where I wanted it fore to aft.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

edit: I reckon it'll be the driver side mount that differs for you down there in upside-down land.
    Last edited by Ether-D; 11-19-2014, 06:28 AM.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yeah okay. It's in the car I'm about to buy, 99% sure it's b35. And yeah it might even be worth just buying some and I'm keen to get the engine in. And the welder is at work with the car at home which makes it hard hah. But thanks for the advice :)

Comment

I made plates for the block and rubber mounts first then hung the motor in position where I tack welded supports on place. its a bit tricky getting around the steering shaft, and I replaced the rubber donut coupling with a steel one to prevent melting, also if your using the original m30 exhaust manifold you need to modify to clear the steering shaft

Welcome and good luck!
        ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

If you decide not to make your own mounts -

I'm running e30.de mounts in my swap. Engine bolts right in & in position 3 the e34 exhaust manifolds work fine (I did get the exhaust flange rotated 90 degrees on the front exhaust manifold for extra clearance to the steering shaft).

The Garagistic mounts are an interesting newer choice that might allow you to use headers. Not sure if anyone with a RHD has given them a go yet to see how the engine fits with them.
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
            I did get the exhaust flange rotated 90 degrees on the front exhaust manifold for extra clearance to the steering shaft.
            This.

did you keep the original rubber coupling?
            ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Also I've seen a lot of people install these motors without reinforcing their subframes. I HIGHLY recommend doing this or your Frame over time will bend and twist from the added weight and power

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
                This.

did you keep the original rubber coupling?

No swapped it for an aluminium one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                  Also I've seen a lot of people install these motors without reinforcing their subframes. I HIGHLY recommend doing this or your Frame over time will bend and twist from the added weight and power

I haven't read this or heard of this?
                  i'm not doubting this claim, however it's never been a hot issue since I read it here.

engine is about 60ish lbs heavier?
                  Originally posted by flyboyx
                  i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                    Sorry...but

OP if you need mounts, I have a jig for m30b35 I have a set already to ship at a moments notice.
                    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                    ~ '87 535
                    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                      i'm not doubting this claim, however it's never been a hot issue since I read it here.

I also hadn't heard of this being a problem. If an m30 weighs 60lbs more than an m20, and I'll be adding a 40lb supercharger, I'll have at least 100lbs more up there.

ThatoneeuroE30, would you mind posting up some pics of your reinforcements? Where do they go?
                      Originally posted by Andy.B
                      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

ahhh, makes more sense if you're adding SC/extra pulley's plumbing etc etc.

yet for the 'run of the mill' M30 swap, this isn't necessary...the only thing that's reinforced on my e30 is the rear subframe as these are a known weakness.
                        Originally posted by flyboyx
                        i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                          Sorry...but

OP if you need mounts, I have a jig for m30b35 I have a set already to ship at a moments notice.
                          What? Its not going to twist the frame its self that would be neerly impposible it will tweek the mounting spots as thats just a sheet of thin metal.

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                          I also hadn't heard of this being a problem. If an m30 weighs 60lbs more than an m20, and I'll be adding a 40lb supercharger, I'll have at least 100lbs more up there.

ThatoneeuroE30, would you mind posting up some pics of your reinforcements? Where do they go?
                          its to protect the mounting points from bending down with the added pressure from the new motor
                          these
                          Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post

Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I checked mine this summer, solid mounts and tons of burnout a, nothing was bent or twisted on the subframe. Now I'm not saying a plate welded in is a bad idea...I plan on doing that myself. Just saying it is not needed. People need to stop thinking the m30 is so heavy, because it is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                            ~ '87 535
                            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

The subframes crack and tear under normal use, even with an m42. You are best to at least box in the mount flange. I do it on all cars I have the subframe out of, despite the engine.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X