Remanufactured Driveshaft Install Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remanufactured Driveshaft Install Troubles

Bought remanufactured shaft for my 90' e30 325i from driveline service of portland. Cost 400 dollars after core refund. Original shaft had harmonic balancer, the new one does not. The adjusting sleeve does not seem to adjust more than about .5cm (some sort of retainer is preventing it from sliding further). Furthermore the driveshaft doesn't slide more than about an inch onto the transmission output shaft, it is as if the bushing is too small or its airtight and It's preventing it from sliding all the way on or something else. Furthermore neither the center support bearing or the output shaft bushing that came preinstalled have identifying markings so I have no idea what brand they are. I have a BMW output shaft bushing and I measured both inside diameters and the new one is slightly smaller (like .05 cm smaller iirc) but I do not know how to remove the bushing (slide hammer?). Paint was chipping off as soon as I received it, seems like they painted over grease.

Pics and video:

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like globrent.

That 'retainer' is a rubber insert in the nut, you need to pull hard on the nut, not just wiggle it around like you were in the video. Grab it and pull. The point of the nut is to squish the rubber insert down on the splines and keep dirt/moisture out, and grease in.

As for the front bushing, .05cm diameter difference is .5mm, which is .25mm radius. That is not going to prevent a rubber bushing from going on. Make sure there is nothing in the bushing or the hole behind it. Put some oil on it and push.

The rest of your issues should be addressed with the company you bought it from. Did they advertise what CSB or output shaft bushing they use? If not, did you ask before buying? If you're having fitment issues, did you call/email them to verify you received the correct part, or get their advice on installation, since it's their product?

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
    X