Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headgasket blown again/right after replacing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headgasket blown again/right after replacing???

Hey guys. Had my car tested a month ago for hgf and it came back as failed. So we took the head off replaced gasket, had head skimmed and tested, torqued everything right, every single thing was done carefully and right and finally now a month later I finally few to drive it to a mechanic to get it properly bled, and he shows me the vial from the chemical test they do for hgf and he says it's still blown. Aside from being absolutely irate, I just can't comprehend how this could be. It's only been driven perhaps ten minutes at low speeds since it was put in. Head was in good condition after skimming, block too. Gasket was high quality. I'm at a loss, can anyone think of how this could be?
    Celebrating 30 years.
    1986 E30 Coupe, assembled in Munich, West Germany, 7/7/86. M10 5 Speed cruisin' through time and space

I bet that's just the remaining crap that is still left over in the system
    Or maybe you have a cracked head/block

Comment

What brand was the gasket?
      Originally posted by Vokuhila
      I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

Victor Reinz Head gasket

Head was tested for cracks. Block is iron and apparently the chance of that cracking is miniscule

I really hope it's crap in the system man. Otherwise I'm going the thermalweld way,truly cbf pulling the head off again
        Celebrating 30 years.
        1986 E30 Coupe, assembled in Munich, West Germany, 7/7/86. M10 5 Speed cruisin' through time and space

Comment

That's your problem Victor reins head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
            That's your problem Victor reins head gasket
            I thought Victor Reinz head gaskets were good.

Comment

I've only heard good things about them.
              Celebrating 30 years.

Comment

Plus, if it was a bad hg, it would still last longer than this.
                Celebrating 30 years.

Comment

Victor reinz are HORRIBLE when it comes to HG's for the m20, i couldn't stress about this enough. Goetze or Elring are probably the best out there. Couldnt tell you how many times I've heard/seen people blow a HG right after installing a brand new victor reinz HG. I tell everyone to steer away from VR at all cost.
                  sigpic

Comment

The only reason I asked was to see if it was victor reinz lol, there's tons of guys on here myself included that have their gaskets leak as soon as they're on...

Not as "high quality" as you think...
                    Originally posted by Vokuhila
                    I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

This info could have been useful beforehand

But noted. If thermalweld doesn't work I'dk what I'll do. Really don't want to take all that shit back off
                      Celebrating 30 years.

Comment

Take it off and do it right.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm not taking it off again anytime soon. With the time and resources I have it took me this last month to finally get around to it.
                          Celebrating 30 years.

Comment

Is this an M30 or an M10? If so, been using VR's on the M10 and M30 race cars for years. However I HAVE seen lots and lots of "mechanics" blame sloppy building practices on HG's of all brands, it's an easy out for an undisclosed underlying issue.

What's even more entertaining I've seen the same M30 HG packaged in both VR and Elring gasket sets before.

Additionally
                            Comin home from the post last night as I got on freeway something was missing, as in power. Still runnin points so I did a qwik & clean tuneup only to find 3 & 4 plugs oil fouled, 1 & 2 perfect. Checked the oil cap and lo a coating of milkshake was present, looks like a 35 year old he...

Hello all, I am a newbie to the 2002 world, and could use a little help. I am replacing the head gasket to get rid of an oil leak at the edge of the head/block interface, where I suspect there was a sealing problem. The old gasket was a standard Felpro gasket available from Kragen Auto. However, ...

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

drive around for awhile and see if it overheats or pumps coolant out of the overflow tank (mark level on reservoir) ,usually if it has a problem still it fills the cooling system with air (displacing the coolant) and causing overheating ,just watch the gauge carefully you'll know for sure if it still overheating .if your not loosing/displacing coolant or overheating your probably just getting a false reading
                              Angus
                              88 E30M3 X2
                              89 325IX
                              92 R100GS/PD
                              :)

Comment

Working...
                              X