m30 swap with A/C ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 swap with A/C ?

Hey guys I have an m30 in my e30 but just added an ac compressor and can't get my e28 rad in. My car was in an accident before i purchased it and know that the rad support is newly welded in. The mounts i have are Garagistic and the engine is quite tight to the fire wall. The Compressor is off an m20 and bolts up perfectly. The compressor pulley hits the rad and I have absolutely no space.
    Is this normal or is my Rad support off?

See link in my sig. It depends a lot on the motor mounts and how far forward they place the engine. I don't know about the Garagistic mounts, but the ones from Otis/Good & Tight work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimateracing335i View Post
      Hey guys I have an m30 in my e30 but just added an ac compressor and can't get my e28 rad in. My car was in an accident before i purchased it and know that the rad support is newly welded in. The mounts i have are Garagistic and the engine is quite tight to the fire wall. The Compressor is off an m20 and bolts up perfectly. The compressor pulley hits the rad and I have absolutely no space.
      Is this normal or is my Rad support off?
      I am also using Garagistic mounts with my M30, and can tell you that there was absolutely no way of fitting an AC compressor with my oem M20 rad, let alone I don't believe the clearance would be that much greater with an E28 rad.

My e30 is non-accidented. it's a vert tho.
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
        I am also using Garagistic mounts with my M30, and can tell you that there was absolutely no way of fitting an AC compressor with my oem M20 rad, let alone I don't believe the clearance would be that much greater with an E28 rad.

My e30 is non-accidented. it's a vert tho.
        I have a vert also. That's disapointing.

Comment

vert/coupe/sedan doesn't matter. The e28 rad is thinner than the e30 rad but I'm not sure by how much.

Comment

Here is the clearance in position 3 to the front pulley my mounts are from e30.de. I have the gooseneck pipe on the back of my head and have not had to beat the firewall. I will be reinstalling my air con but My condensors are behind the fog lamp grills. I orignally had the alpina radiator that sat in the front mask.

Will be refitting my aircon as if you have clearance on the front pulley then should be ok

Comment

Just curious...you have a vert, located in Toronto...why need ac?
              Originally posted by flyboyx
              i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                Just curious...you have a vert, located in Toronto...why need ac?
                What does it matter? The man wants AC.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

I pulled out the b35 and have an ls7 ready to install. Hopefully I can get everything working with that motor.

Comment

Working...
                  X