318i >> 344i - M62B44 Swap From Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318i >> 344i - M62B44 Swap From Australia

I have always been lazy in the past and forget to take photos as I build car so I thought I would get a head start and continue to update this as I go...

Almost a year ago my Alpine II S50us swapped car fell victim to a Jeep on the wrong side of the road:

Roof was bent so there was no way we could have saved it, so I bought it back from the insurance company and traded the S50 conversion (radiator to tailshaft) for my current E30:

The car came 5 stud converted (caster issue was the first thing I fixed) along with genuine 17" BBS RS.

I added a few things to it (seats, recaro steering wheel, sold RS's, fit 840ci wheels, half black interior so far...)

My original intention was to keep the car as a tidy daily driver and retain the slow boring M40 motor. One day my exhaust broke and half fell off on a mountain run so i figured a V8 swap was a better idea than fixing my 4 cylinder exhaust.

I hit up my mates at the local BMW wreckers and found that they had an early M62B44 and 5spd box available among the couple of parts they have...

Got it all home and in the meantime I had already been ordering parts required for the swap.

Alloy Radiator:

Garagistic Engine Arms + Poly Mounts

Condor Speed Shop Trailing Arm Bushes, Diff Mount, Trans Mounts

IRP Tunnel Mounted Shifter

Heaps of other parts strewn throughout the shed

I have pulled the front covers off to prepare for chains, guides and tensioner replacement this weekend:

PARTS!!!!!!!

M40 boat anchor is ready to come out, then I can start working on booster relocation and cleaning up the engine bay.

I am converting the M62 over to OBD1 using all M60 gear to make the swap a bit easier, just waiting on my single mass flywheel, clutch and exhaust manifolds (sexy stuff from Ergen...)

Once all of these parts arrive it should be full steam ahead. Will try to remember to take photos as I go, but so often I remember to take them after all of the work is done and its just a pic of the end product but we will see how I go...
    90 318i M62B44 OBD1
    02 530i Touring (Airlift 3P)

NICE!!!!!!!! Keep the updates coming mate.
    E30 325i Touring currently under construction.
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...256444&page=20
    sigpic

Comment

Sweet! In for more :up:

Comment

I am excited to see how you go about this!!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

this is looking to be brilliant, sub'd for more

Comment

Picked up an e34 540i harness to use for my OBD1 swap and immediately dug in to remove all of the auto transmission wiring from it, along with labeling all of the plugs.

What I removed:

Finished product:

I really like how tidy the harness ends up, so much more so than the M50/M52 harnesses I have worked with before. Everything running through the injector/ignition coil boxes is nice.

Just need to pick up an X20 connector to make an adapter harness to the E30 C101:

Thinking of running either my Pontiac Trans Am 16x8:

Or my Remotec 17x9 +8 that I ran on my compact, but im thinking these will be a bit of a struggle to fit without some proper guard work or flares...

I am planning to have the motor all back together with the chains and guides all replaced this weekend, then I can drop the motor in and start working on where to put everything in the bay.
            90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

So I got round to pulling the M40 boat anchor out of the car this weekend:

This guy must have got cooked by the raciator haha

Empty bay with booster removed, getting ready for test fit

I had to cut off part of the battery tray to get the motor in, still need to clean it up but it now clears

Bare motor going in for mockup and to let me work out where to but everything in the bay

Annnnd in, just sitting on the engine mounts for now.

Chains and tensioners are all done now, just need to get an M60 water pump, 85c thermostat and housing for the OBD1 conversion and then I can seal it all up to get ready for install.
              90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

They just had a 5 speed lying around? That's awesome
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

I like whats going on here
                  Current:
                  1989 325i
                  1988 M3
                  1987 325ic
                  Past:
                  2001 330ci
                  2001 M3

Comment

I love what you're doing, but I suggest re-wrapping the harness with something other than electrical tape. It will get pretty nasty fairly quickly. I know Mercedes Benz has some nice factory stuff, but Ive used something from Home Depot before that also worked well. Im not sure what you guys have in upside down land thats similar to Home Depot though
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      I love what you're doing, but I suggest re-wrapping the harness with something other than electrical tape. It will get pretty nasty fairly quickly. I know Mercedes Benz has some nice factory stuff, but Ive used something from Home Depot before that also worked well. Im not sure what you guys have in upside down land thats similar to Home Depot though
                      I picked this roll of Tesa tape up from Amazon, it's an awesome product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Does the LH side head clear the brake booster opening? That shall be your next challenge. ;-)
                        Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Yeah I would stay away from electrical tape, Ive had the adhesive melt and unravel from the heat of an engine. Also, definitely run the TA wheels. Gold and your red would be a great color combo.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                            Does the LH side head clear the brake booster opening? That shall be your next challenge. ;-)
                            I already have a solution ordered to deal with this, being RHD my car already has a linkage running through the dash that pivots to actuate the brake master on the firewall.

I will be using a fabricated replacement bracket that allows me to mount the booster/master behind the glove box in line with the rod under the dash.

90 318i M62B44 OBD1

Comment

nice project looking forward to your progress

Comment

Working...
                              X