No announcement yet.

My '89 325ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's hard for me to say. Mine only seemed to be affected at start, but now that I've felt the car actually run right I can tell that it did affect the whole rpm range to a degree, but only died on me at the start.

Comment

Looking good man Nice to see people working on e30s here in the KC area

Comment

Originally posted by danielpak_ek9 View Post
        Looking good man Nice to see people working on e30s here in the KC area
        Thanks!

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
        That's hard for me to say. Mine only seemed to be affected at start, but now that I've felt the car actually run right I can tell that it did affect the whole rpm range to a degree, but only died on me at the start.
        Huh. If the idling isn't mostly resolved with the intake fixed and new coolant temp sensor I'll try it out. Mine definitely feels like it pulls strong throughout the rev range once warmed up but then again this is the only m20 powered e30 i've driven so I can't really speak for anything else.

Fixed some of the intake leak problems on the throttle body.

Started with taking the elbows off and putting tools in the engine bay of course

Then ya pull out the elbows and clean the mating surfaces. Probably should've cleaned the top one a little bit more but eh, it's good (Probably)

Gotta mix up a healthy about of JB weld, with a screw driver of course because convenience is king :D

Put a healthy amount on making sure to not get it on the inside or end of the elbow

Then ya put it in the hole, just like dad taught ya to, but make sure you put em in the correct holes :giggle:

It's ok if it squirts out a little, just make sure it isn't too messy

I apologize for the innuendos (not really). I just had to make them :D

I'm hoping this fixes some of my idling problems

Here are some picks of the sideskirt mess. The black crusty stuff is the silicone/whatever the hell it is that the PO put on to try to glue the skirt on. Got more of it scraped off the right side, just need to sand it down to get it smooth.

Almost there. Just needs a sand with probably 220 and then 500 to get it smooth. Not to concerned with paint since that will be getting dealt with this summer

Also, to my knowledge, Garagistic has yet to ship out my t-case bushing which I contacted them about 2 weeks ago. Getting very frustrated with them. Sometimes they respond to my messages within a couple hours, other times they read it and ignore, or take days to respond. Hopefully it's here by next weekend when I am pulling the t-case to fix the dssr interference. If not I am gonna be real mad...:hitler:

On a side note, I am in the process of getting my private pilots license before I go off to K-State Salina next year. Flew on thursday and it was an awesome sunset so I had to snap some pictures. I just wish the window wasn't so dirty

Last edited by ThatM20Guy; 02-26-2017, 07:48 PM.
        89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
        I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Dude buy a stock tcase mount. You'll be happier if you do. Garagistic doesn't make them for the iX. Unless it's custom and probably won't fit..
          Build Thread
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
          Parts Thread
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
            Dude buy a stock tcase mount. You'll be happier if you do. Garagistic doesn't make them for the iX. Unless it's custom and probably won't fit..
            They do make em they're just made to order. They have the molds but just don't have any stocked since the t-case mount is a seldom ordered item. However I ordered an IX one and they sent me IS trans mounts. I shot em a message about it on 2/4 on getting an IX one shipped out to replace the IS ones they sent. Responded to me 2/6 and still no sign of being shipped. Then sent a message saying they were going to shoot me a tracking number on 2/14. Now it's 2/26 and still no tracking number of package from Garagistic. I know they are a somewhat small business but this is frankly ridiculous. You'd think there would be some urgency to fix a $280 order but I guess not

I want the poly bushing since the whole car is getting an 80a poly upgrade but if I have to wait another week I'll bite the bullet and get a stock rubber one.

I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Cool project!

Post a video of your exhaust! I have a vibrant stealth (looks almost identical to yours) sitting on a shelf at the shop that I forgot about. Wondering how it sounds

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                Cool project!

Post a video of your exhaust! I have a vibrant stealth (looks almost identical to yours) sitting on a shelf at the shop that I forgot about. Wondering how it sounds
                Thanks man!

I'll get some clips of it for ya this weekend once I fix the shifter!

Comment

She lives! Slowly working out the kinks. She's an ugly duckling right now but has yet to hit that phase...come this summer she is gonna look sexy...

Squid you will love your exhaust. The Borla XS mid and Vibrant rear make for an awesome combo. Even using the shitty ebay headers this thing sounds glorious above 3k, but down low it's still quite for daily driving and really no drone.

(Also I think I'm gonna need a MAF conversion chip here pretty soon ;D)

Comment

Finally driving it and see several issues. Number one is I need to get a Bentley manual...anyway...

- Engine oil light on the check panel is on. Not sure what that could be...oil level sensor? Oil level checks out so that's the only thing I can think of.

- Brake lining light on the dash is on. Don't think there is much I can do to fix that. Also the check light thing is cracked but it is constantly flashing

- Throwout bearing seems to be on its way out. There is a whirring when the clutch is out and then when the peddle is pressed the whirring goes away (when at idle).

- Check engine light comes on at completely random times for like 10 seconds then goes away. Don't have a scanner so it's impossible to know what this is

- Front rotors are warped. Easy fix.

- Headlight panel isn't working properly (PM me if you have one)

Really no other MAJOR issues. A bunch of small stuff that needs to be fixed, but nothing that is really pressing. I still got 5 months to get the kinks ironed before I head off to college..plenty of time...right :-?

Hopefully I am going to get all of these issues fixed in the next month. If I could that would be awesome. It'll probably take several months at the rate I do stuff but hey, optimism is good.

Here's some late model love

Comment

Got some work done today on the car. Attempted to fix the right sideskirt. Got some new clips and green button things and sanded some more of the stuff the P.O. put on the sideskirt.

Sanded some of the stuff off. Went at it with 80 grit to just try to knock it off and get is somewhat smooth.

Put the sideskirt on with the clips but it has way to much of a gap up front. As you can see (hopefully) the gap by the rear is WAY smaller than the one up front. I will probably take the sideskirt off and use the double sided 3M Super Tape stuff and the 3M primer. This should be more than strong enough coupled with the bottom clips to hold the sideskirt on. Should give a really flush fitment.

Comment

Look what finally decided to show up! So happy to finally have the T-case bushing. Going to be installing it this weekend along with the motor mounts hopefully. Holding off on the offset CAB's until I lower it.

Comment

Let me know how it drives and if the drivetrain vibrations change much.
                          325IX Build Thread
                          RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
                            Let me know how it drives and if the drivetrain vibrations change much.
                            Will do. Never got around to the transfer case this weekend but I'm hoping I can get at it this week.

Yesterday/today I got the diff cover out and kinda painted.

Started with draining the oil of course.

Got the cover off. Actually surprised at how good of condition the rubber bushing was in. Someone must have replaced it not super long ago. Anyway, time to clean this thing up a bit.

Get it clamped down in some sort of vise. Used my rockwell jawhorse clamp. Love the thing. I would almost go to saw it is irreplaceable when doing small jobs like this.

Went at the cover with a wire wheel on the angle grinder and dremel. Lets just saw the dremel wheel didn't fair to well...

Diff cover cleaned up a bit.

Here's a pic of me lookin fly with my earmuffs and 80's eurobeat shades ;D

Cut the old bushing out.

After many futile minutes toiling away with a coping saw trying to cut through the bushing sleeve I took it over to a friends house to cut it will a sawzall. 2 minutes later we had this.

Also figured while it was out I would go ahead and derust the plate that holds the speed sensor in the diff. Oh the magic of the wire wheel

A little diff painting action. Primed it with a self etching and then sprayed a royal blue. Closest off the shelf blue I could find that matched the deep blue in the M stripes. Not super happy with the results but I didn't have time to get the cover sandblaster or powdercoated so it'll have to due.

Diff back up and in. Also put in the AKG diff mount I had waiting to go in. Can't remember if I got the 80A or 95A but it felt pretty damn hard. Took a hell of a beating to pound it into place.

That's all I got for now. Can't really see it in the pic but the diff is super grimy. Can't wait to clean it and get the subframe painted.

Comment

Working...
                            X