No announcement yet.

RIP 318is, long live 325is that will actually be a 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an awesome thread and something I can relate at this very moment (see sig). Sub'd for M42 goon squad love.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    shame about the old car, but look at the bright side, the vulva lip died in the crash too
    This is funny, because my iS lip survived the horrific wreck and in on my new 318 shell now.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

M42 Love for sure, hope it all works out good!
      "I have a vision and I won't stop"

Comment

It has been forever but my car is finally running! So I finally got to work on my car this past weekend and found the problem. Apparently will the head was off getting reworked my oil fill cap decided to not seal anymore. It allowed the vacuum line on the valve cover to fill up with oil and cause a horrible idle. But when I checked it several times previously I just pulled it off the valve cover and looked down it. It was spotless so I didn't think anymore of it. But I started to take everything apart this weekend and it was a 1/3 full of oil. So I pulled the manifold and cleaned it all out made a cheap oil catch can(order one also) replaced the oil filler cap and now my car is running strong!!! Still a lot to do to it before it is really road worthy but the engine is fixed finally!!
        (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Drove it 100 plus miles today with no issues! Here are some pics from work yesterday.

And then with its street wheels.

Started cleaning up a few things today. Took the neon lights out of the truck. Haha and got 2/3's of the tar out of the trunk.
          (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Looks a LOT better than your old car, nice! My car has a glass sunroof as well (Hollandia branded; Sekurit glass) - it's kind of a cool, but to me it's just unnecessary weight and extra rattles that I'd sooner not deal with.

E30s are such fun daily drivers. I'm curious about what handling differences you notice with the 15" autocross tires vs. 14" all seasons. A lot more grip with the former obviously, but anything else? Responsiveness, etc.
            1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

That is actually the sunroof out of the black car. I pulled the glass one to sell it. But the glass is a good bit lighter for sure. I didn't weigh either but it was a big difference(Probably a third or more lighter). I am going to delete all of the sunroof stuff eventually.

Traction is the biggest deference for sure. My car is very responsive with the ZHP steering rack but it feels ever so slightly less responsive with the 14's. I would say that it is just because of the taller sidewall.
              (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Glass sunroof is lighter?! I thought the opposite, cool.

Comment

First pass at removing the tar. Man that stuff weighs a lot!!
                  (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Finally, somebody with a trunk floor uglier than mine.

Comment

What's wrong with yours? You shouldn't have any tar in the 318. But I have all the interior bits that will cover it all up.
                      (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

No tar, and I'm sure at one time it was clean, but long-standing leaky trunk and tail light gaskets have taken their toll on the paint in mine - since fixed, but it's still not pretty. I bought my car with 2 inches of standing water in the spare tire well.

Comment

That's fun. Antenna was leaking on mine when I got it.

Trunk all put back together.
                          (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Had to go into work late last night and thought this was a cool picture.

Then this morning this happened at work. Missing one, maybe later this week it will show up also.

(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

My intake boot cracked for the 2nd time since getting the 318 and man the prices have gone up on those. So I started looking around for alternatives and came up with this.

Not finished with it completely but a good start. I ordered a boot from a m44 with traction control and then found an intake pipe that fit. Now the air doesn't have all of the bumps it used to have to flow over. Also ordered an oil catch can. Hope to install it this weekend if all goes well then go race the following weekend!
                              (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Ok so race day on Sunday! Added the oil catch can today. Thought it turned out nice.

Need to get a few more hose clamps to finish it off. Went for a test drive after installing to make sure everything was ok. Got back to the house only to find I got a flat tire. No big deal I needed to swap on my race wheels anyways. Pulled it off and found grease all over the inside of the wheel. Turns out that axles CV is slightly larger than the other axle and the boot rubbed on the e brake cable. Just typical Haha. Luckily I kept the axles from the subframe I pulled off this car when I got it. Good condition BMW axles not the cheap ones I bought. Swap that out in the morning and load it onto the trailer for the race.
                                (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Working...
                                X