Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gaboer View Post
    Found out that pin 1 doesn't exist on my S52 loom, guess I don't need the oil level sensor lol. Anyways, I just thought, is the DME pinout for the S50 and S52 the same? I just wanted to make sure that the DME pinout for 74/17 are the same since your thread was for an M50 engine.
    No, they are not the same! S50 is OBDI and S52 is OBDII. You'll want to check wiring diagrams for your specific engine when making your harness. Check the wiring diagram links in my sig.
    M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
    Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
    M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Ah sounds good, I ended up deciding to go and just use the X20 lines, and run them to my C104 instead of messing with the DME. My best friend knows how to solder and such made me this
      Last edited by Gaboer; 06-01-2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FishEye View Post
        I just bought a M50B25 TU from a 94 325... I have a 91 318is... Can I use the tranny and driveshaft from the same e36 325? My tranny just blew today so it's time to get serious with this swap.. Please help!

I kind of have the opposite question.
        I have an 87 325is I'm wanting to swap a M52TUB28 into.
        Can I use the the stock e30 transmission?
        I've read that some modification needs to be made to the cross member and shift linkage but don't know what exactly?
        ...and if there is anything else that needs to be modified or purchased?

Im also wondering what all is needed for the cooling system? I'll have a full e36 donor car. Do I need anything besides an electric pusher fan? And what is everyone using for that? SPAL?

Comment

I was pulling out the engine and noticed my O2 sensor was zip tied to my battery tray. OBD I cars if I recall only have 1 O2 for both, but my exhaust runs 1-3/4-6 dual pipes all the way to the muffler. Previous owner said the car ran strong even without the O2 sensor. Is this something I need to worry about?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidty View Post
            I kind of have the opposite question.
            I have an 87 325is I'm wanting to swap a M52TUB28 into.
            Can I use the the stock e30 transmission?
            I've read that some modification needs to be made to the cross member and shift linkage but don't know what exactly?
            ...and if there is anything else that needs to be modified or purchased?

Im also wondering what all is needed for the cooling system? I'll have a full e36 donor car. Do I need anything besides an electric pusher fan? And what is everyone using for that? SPAL?
            To answer the transmission question, yes you can use the G260. You need an adapter to tilt the G260 ~10 degrees to mate up to the M52. Here is what I'll be using for my S52/G260 build:

Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!

I'd recommend refreshing the G260 while it's out. Here is a link for what parts you'll need:

As for the linkage, you'll need to twist the shifter arm ~10 degrees in the opposite direction of the cross member adapter in order to keep it centered. You can either heat it up and bend it or find an aftermarket version. I don't have one bookmarked but I'm sure they are out there.

I can't answer your cooling questions as I've got to many of my own!

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_silva View Post
              When using the getrag 260 for the tranny, can you use the e30 ltw flywheel? Those with the aluminum flywheel, does it make driving the car a pain? What clutch should you use?

Thank you.

Aaron
              im using fidanza lightweight flywheel part #195321
              with a sachs s52 clutch kit i got off rock auto
              m20 pilot bearing
              s50 throw out bearing
              g260 trannny
              any m50/s50/m52/s52 starter works
              (ive got an m52 one)
              drivability is great, little to no rev stick at 2k-3k and feels great. idle is a bit low though but i have the miller war chip so i can easily adjust idle speed and stuff like that. i highly reccomend it.

Comment

Hey folks - first post so bear with me. Got my hands on a "lightly rolled" '97 Z3 2.8 auto trans for a great deal and plan on transplanting the engine in to my '90 325iS. Here are my plans so far:

2.8 engine
                E34 oil pan, dipstick assembly and level sensor
                E28 motor mounts
                OBD2 wiring with PnP harness adapter from Andrew325iS
                G260 trans, flywheel, driveshaft, etc with modded trans mount and linkage
                Either the stock Salisbury 3.73 LSD or the Z3 Torsen 4.10 LSD
                Exhaust TBD but would like to use as much of the stock pieces from the Z and E30 as possible

Some questions:

Looking for some good info on what can be removed from engine to simplify the install. I assume that the air pump, post cat o2's are first on the list but can other items get removed without much trouble (no smog testing in my state). For the record, I plan on getting a proper ecu flash to delete EWS and whatever else I come up with from this list.

Should I mod the dipstick tube to run the CCV or delete CCV altogether?

Any other gotchas on doing an OBD2 swap I should be aware of before diving in?

S52 cams, OBD1 intake worth it?

Use the remote fuel pressure regulator or find an early M52tu fuel rail with integrated FPR?

Would really appreciate hearing any tips, tricks and links from the OBD2 swap folks. I have read through this entire thread and have not seen much on the OBD2 stuff.

Thanks!

Comment

Hey 24v experts :)

Wondering if anyone can provide some pointers on what parts are needed and should be bolted to the m52 before putting it back in the car? (and what things can wait until after you have the engine back in).

Obviously I'll have motor and trans mounts, new transmission brace for g260, e34 oil pan/dipstick.

Do I need to mess with anything related to wiring/ecu, coolant lines, etc... before dropping the engine in? Or do I just button that all up afterwards?

Main reason I am asking is because the car is at a buddies shop (where I have access to an engine hoist, lift and air tools) so I'd like to just do what's needed to drop the engine in, and then I can take the car back to my place a finish everything up in my garage (where I'll be able to work on it more frequently).

Thanks,
                  Ryan

Comment

Ripped my friends s50 out of his m3 today and noticed there was TWO X20 connectors Besides the fuse box. Didn't realize one was for the auto trans until I asked around as no 24v swap threads mention it. Im guessing most people just go through the wiring and delete all the auto trans stuff? Just a heads up so no one else wonders about it all day like I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by grinchxvx View Post
                      Im guessing most people just go through the wiring and delete all the auto trans stuff?
                      yup. delete the auto computer plug and all the wires that come from it.

Originally posted by schmidty View Post
                      Wondering if anyone can provide some pointers on what parts are needed and should be bolted to the m52 before putting it back in the car?
                      all the wiring can be installed after, as can the water pump and such. if you're replacing the idler and tensioner, you can't do it with a radiator mounted, so do it before then. pretty much everything else that's not the long block can go on after installation.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

N00b questions

looking at a S50 this week for $1500. i have put together a pretty good list but i do have some specific parts questions...

1. do you use/can you use the e36 power steering pump with the e30 steering rack?
                        2. if I will be using the e30 trans (1990 325i so i think its the 260) what flywheel and clutch should be used?
                        3. can i use the stock master cylinder with the 320i booster?
                        4. what does "e34 oil pickup" mean in terms of what actually needs to be bought? the whole pump?
                        5. does the AKG wiring harness adapter make the e36 ecu, e30 wiring and the s50 harness plug and play?

I know there's tons of literature out there and ive been reading a lot... but there's almost too much to look at, especially when your questions get specific...

Comment

I have a few questions and rather than start a thread I decided to post it here.

My m52 came out of an auto car, can I just cut the auto trans TCU and pull all the wires out from there?

Is there anyway to jump the Started wth the motor out of the car to do a compression test? Also what should cold numbers be for a good motor?

Where's the best place to send me ECU for ews delete etc? All the threads have links to places that don't do them anymore it seems

Comment

Originally posted by grinchxvx View Post
                            I have a few questions and rather than start a thread I decided to post it here.

My m52 came out of an auto car, can I just cut the auto trans TCU and pull all the wires out from there?

Is there anyway to jump the Started wth the motor out of the car to do a compression test? Also what should cold numbers be for a good motor?

Where's the best place to send me ECU for ews delete etc? All the threads have links to places that don't do them anymore it seems

turner motorsport has EWS delete chips

Comment

10/86 325es autotragic swap to
                              10/96 m52b28 from 528i complete with 5 spd tranz

rat rodding for now so retaining obd2 and as much stock parts as possible at the moment >.<

compiling parts and trying to plan out whats needed before pulling old motor correct me where needed please and any insight would be much appreciated!

All new gaskets, pumps, plugs etc on motor and trans to be swapped

Electrical
                              calling Market motor works tomorrow for ecu reprogram, mod temp sensor, ecu mounts, and a plug and play harness

Brakes
                              research has lead me to believe i can retain the stock brake booster moving it over as much as possible and shim the drivers side motor mount/shave stock m52 intake mani. which for cost purpose am also retaining for the moment. new rotors and pads (stock everything but now has speed holes loz)

Cooling
                              e46 3 row raid. and elct fan is planned
                              not sure on hoses needed but should be straight forward
                              I think i can retain stock exspansion tank if i mount it to the other side of the car? otherwise i believe the 535i expansion tank is needed

535i
                              intake box and motor mounts using b28 alloy arms

hours of searching hasnt concluded what the specs are to modify stock b28 headers so im waiting for first test fit to figure out exhaust. Again I'm trying to retain as much stock junk for cost at the moment. I believe the b28 uses 4 o2 sensors? not sure if the new e30 sensor will work with stock e30 single piping, mid pipe, cat, etc with the functioning lambda sensors b28 side and a cpu delete of the 4th will be savy?

I have the e34 oil pan, pump, and merc chain ready. just need to remove baffels and mod dipstick for return line

Tranz
                              5 spd I attained with the motor
                              still need to order an e36 reverse light switch research leads me to believe any two prong can be used
                              -new stock dual plate clutch i'm a newb and want experience so I can appreciate a nicer clutch later along with upping power
                              -new fork plate, bearings, and slave cyclinder
                              -want a stainless line but not sure on length needed
                              i believe i need z3 shift linkage? need more info which is hard to discern/find

driveshaft
                              e30 m3? research has been inconclusive so will measure on first test fit
                              i read somewhere that the 86 325es automatic driveshaft is perfect for this swap but that seems too good to be true

Diff
                              my es does have a limited slip but it is vocal in tight turns. not sure on the gearing and its raining right now.. If I can beat on it for a even a few months before replacing it i'm fine with that. not sure on what too replace it with still researching opinions on gearing and crossing my fingers i can retain stock a while to keep cost down

Delete
                              secondary air pump
                              tcs
                              throttle body heater (not needed here in the 805)

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place and for any and all other newb mistakes. Thank you in advance for input.

Comment

Ok internetz i have a tricky question for you but I'll keep it short.

325es automatic
                                to
                                m52b28 motor and matching 5spd zf tranny from e34 528i

Driveshaft I need?

bonus question

mounting the tranny into chassis requires no modification or special mounts.
                                true or false

Comment

Working...
                                X