No announcement yet.

e34 throttle cable part number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an s52 swapped into an e30 318i. The E34 cable doesn't look it will work without significant modification to the adjuster. Opened to the max the throttle body *still* doesn't close all the way. The guy who did the swap had to trim off a half inch (I learned this when I went to replace the sticking cable and ended up with an unhappy car with the throttle body cracked open by about 10%).

I've only seen a few mentions of "adjustments" to these cables. But is it a known fact that modification is required for the cables to work? Or is it supposed to be a drop-in replacement?

Comment

I think most people end up having to modify them.
      Do you have an obd2 throttle body?
      I personally used an e36 throttle cable.
      It was too long so I cut off the end and used a throttle cable stop, works perfectly.
      Project
      Feedback

Comment

With the E34 cable, I had to cut the rubber grommet down by about half an inch *and* I had to dremel the end of the adjuster plastic so that the throttle pulley could get past it. I have no idea why this info isn't out there in the threads…

I just ordered an E36 cable (p/n 35411163228) that will hopefully work better without modifying anything (except adding/adjusting a throttle stop maybe).

Comment

Yes, E34 throttle cable requires modification to work and even then I question how well it will last once you cut the rubber plug etc.

The e34 cable is NOT the cable to use for a M52 swap, as I have learned first hand. With it adjusted all the way out, throttle plate is still open about 10%.

Comment

Getting parts assembled for my M52 swap...

95m3ltw - what cable did you find works best for you? Are you using OBD2 throttle body or OBD 1?

Originally posted by 95m3ltw View Post
            Yes, E34 throttle cable requires modification to work and even then I question how well it will last once you cut the rubber plug etc.

The e34 cable is NOT the cable to use for a M52 swap, as I have learned first hand. With it adjusted all the way out, throttle plate is still open about 10%.

Comment

Working...
            X