Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intercooler intakes

Time for more airflow to the intercooler and radiator.

Bumper cut. But I don't like the raw plastic edge look.

Air duct fabrication in progress.

Getting better at welding.

Finished product looking really good.

Mounted in the bumper. Will look even better painted. Calling it a day since it's 80F in the garage again.

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

Turbo bumper

Turbo bumper vents complete.

Will finish some minor things on the bumper next. Convert fog lights to dual oil cooler intakes. Trim valence ends to match late bumper. Then we're good to go.

New view from the inside. Lots of breathing room for the radiator and intercooler.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Definitely a good choice to go with those elongated openings to match your valance. Looks way cool. Will look awesome once they're painted.

Looking forward to seeing how you do the fog lights. That's a very interesting idea. Maybe one could be for an oil cooler and another for a power steering cooler? (not sure if you deleted PS). Just thinking two oil coolers may be excessive since even some track guys don't even run one.
        P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

I would definitely make the fog lights brake ducts if there is room for the hoses. You are going to be putting down a lot of power and going much faster than an e30 is used to. You will need to cool those brakes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody reading this with experience tracking an E30 please chime in.

I will be using Massive Lee's 300 x 21 kit with Forged Superlite 120-11126 calipers, heavy duty Hawk HR8003 vented slotted rotors, Hawk DTC70 7420 pads (track) and Hawk HPS pads (street).

Brake ducts was my first instinct, as I almost hit the wall and checked out for good at Texas Motor Speedway due to melted brakes on a 240Z. However, optimal operating temperature for DTC70s is 800 - 1200F, meaning brake ducts would likely over cool the system. The rotors are vented (self cooling) and at 10 lbs each have a lot of thermal mass.

I'll be adding brake temperature sensors and gauges the dash. Will be an easy way to see if brake temps are in the right range.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Data will be key (for the brakes and for oil coolers).

I wouldn't think you'd need two oil coilers; one good one should do the job. I, and many other E30 track cars don't run one at all, BUT most of us are N/A. With a turbo I think it'd be good safety.

My concern with 2 oil cooler cores would be the complicated and lengthy plumbing necessary. All extra potential fail points.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

E30 brake temperature monitor

I'm considering building an E30 brake temperature monitoring system. If you're interested in one as a group buy, please let me know in this thread.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Finishing the Bumper

Houston, we have a minor problem. Air dam is into the intercooler hose and needs a some more internal trimming.

That's better.

Going with covered vents for now. Can open them up later if needed once we get real brake temps.

Air dam sides trimmed to match wheel wells.

I'm a total welding addict now. If it remotely needs welding I drag out the MIG.

That's the new grill holder.

Oh yeah.

Will add mesh to the center air dam inlets tomorrow.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

For some reason I can't find the cow catcher valence in realoem, but those lower outer vents are actually for the brake vents. There's an oem piece that bolts to it and vents cool air to the brakes, just like the late model valence does.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Ah. That would make sense. Thanks for the hint.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Fuel cell arrived. 15 gallon Fuel Safe

45 degree fill tube is not going to work. Replacing it with a straight drop into the fuel cell from the trunk deck.

More paint prep

I found a freaking CRACK in the air damn while sanding. A metal patch and some industrial glue will hold it.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

It begins

Paint starts this weekend. Cage prep started tonight. "Naval Jelly" does a great job removing and stabilizing surface rust for painting. These tubes were rust brown an hour ago.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Aftermarket oil cooler

Making a bracket for the new oil cooler. My new favorite tool: rivet gun. This bracket is made of aluminum and only weighs several grams. Great for weight saving.

New oil cooler 2X the area of stock and a fraction of the weight. Fits on top of the intercooler.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Taking the car out for paint quotes this Friday. They all want to see it to quote the job.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
                                Taking the car out for paint quotes this Friday. They all want to see it to quote the job.
                                r you keeping single stage or going clear?

Comment

Working...
                                X