No announcement yet.

Official Electric Fan wiring thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My (m20b23) RPM's drop just a hair when the fan comes on, but that is it.
    Your alternator might be close to dying, check the volts and amps.
    My transaction feedback on r3vlimited :):Clickety click

Comment

Originally posted by raudonis View Post
      My (m20b23) RPM's drop just a hair when the fan comes on, but that is it.
      Your alternator might be close to dying, check the volts and amps.
      Turned out to be a bad ICV. Unplugged the ICV, and it runs perfect.

Comment

is this fan useable with my s52 swap
        my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

Originally posted by Mistawall View Post
          http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fl...commendedparts

is this fan useable with my s52 swap
          Yes but there are cheaper options out there. I use a Jegs straight blade 16" fan and since I moved to LA and commute through horrid downtown traffic, it has never once crept near the half way mark. Only downside is the straight blade fans are louder but it doesn't bother me.

91 318is M50 swapped
          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
            Yes but there are cheaper options out there. I use a Jegs straight blade 16" fan and since I moved to LA and commute through horrid downtown traffic, it has never once crept near the half way mark. Only downside is the straight blade fans are louder but it doesn't bother me.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1042833
            did you delete your ac or do you still have it?
            my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

AC is make or break... Gotta have a killer fan if youre in the south and need engine cooling and AC :P

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mistawall View Post
                did you delete your ac or do you still have it?
                regretfully I deleted it. Really should have kept it and tried to make it work.
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Has anyone used the a fan from the volvo v70, 850, or 960? Ive read they flow anywhere from 3000-3500 cfm and pull 17 amps on low speed and 35 amps.

JTR suggests that I use the bmw relays to trigger the volvo 2 speed relays, does anyone have input on how this would work?

This will not be in BMW swapped car but rather an LS swapped car if that helps.

Thanks

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                  Simply have the power wires that went to
                  The stock fan fire the relays built into
                  The Volvo fan, then run fused power and ground to the fan relay

So since I want to use the low and high speed settings which temp switch do I need to get... The 80/88 3 pole?

Also when you say run the fused power and the ground to the fan relay are you referring to the stock bmw fan relay?
                  Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
                  Cab
                  billac: 92 LagunengrĂ¼n cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 LagunengrĂ¼n IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
                  : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
                  88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

If youre trying to use both speeds then yes the 80/88. The only reason i prefer just having the fans immeaditly hit on high at 80 is because most (i havent run a volvo fan in a car personally) fans dont flow enough on low speed and the motor is cooking pretty good by the time the high speed hits...

And as far as wiring the volvo fan, run the stock main power wires to the fan relay and run power for the fan externally to the battery as the factory fan wiring will never support that many amps when high speed hits....

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I'm starting to tackle the fan wiring project, but running into a few snags along the way. I'm not sure if it's just my understanding, or if I have an issue.

I have a 1986 325e which currentlyhas no electric fan installed, and the previous owner hacked up all of the wiring up near the right-hand headlight.

I've found the plug over on the drivers side with the green/black, blue/black, and brown wires. There is nothing on the end of that plug, but my understanding is that:

Grn/blk, blue/blk - > electric fan power
                      brown - > electric fan ground

Now, my issue comes into play on what wires go to the temp switch. On my passenger side headlight area, I don't have a blue/blk or a grn/blk wire. Is there something that I'm overlooking?

For reference, here's what my passenger side looks like. Previous owner took off the plugs on every single wire that wasn't being used, so I can't just identify what plug goes where.

Comment

ETA fan switch wiring is on the drivers side....

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                          ETA fan switch wiring is on the drivers side....
                          Gotcha, thanks. That clears it up.

Comment

So I gonna be running a Volvo fan with integrated 2 speed relay as pictured.

I am running a stock e36 radiator with what I think is a 90/98 3 pole Will this work if I wire it according to the above schematic? I plan on cutting the pig tail and hooking it up to fan 1 which is low speed and fan 2 which is high speed (The center two) on the volvo unit. However what are the prongs on the e36 sensor which one is low speed, high speed, and ground? And im assuming I hook the low to low and high speed to high speed and the the left over wire from the sensor is ground?
                            Last edited by bmk; 08-10-2014, 11:00 PM.
                            Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
                            Cab
                            billac: 92 LagunengrĂ¼n cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 LagunengrĂ¼n IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
                            : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
                            88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Can someone help me out here?
                              I'm awful with wiring, and am considering going to an electric fan instead of the mechanical driven one.
                              Car is a 91 318iS.

What do I need? Obviously a fan, do I need a temperature sender unit? How do I wire it all up?
                              I've read the OP many times and have read half the thread, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
                              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Works perfectly! Used 61-31-1-364-272-82 with e30 Radiator with Spal pusher infront of AC Condensor for my M52 swap. Fan turns itself on and off great; turns on at about the midway point on the guage, cools the engine down and never goes much further than half on the guage. Then turns off. It also turns on when I turn the AC on. Very nice! Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Working...
                                X