Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m50 auto wiring harness?

Hi guys.

I'm looking to convert my obd2 e36 to obd1. I know its not an e30 but...anyone know if you can use an auto m50 wiring harness for a obd1 swap and just delete the auto part?

Anyone have pics of both a m50 manual and m50 auto wiring harness to compare?

I am using an auto E36 harness for my manual swap. Fairly easy to remove all the auto shit from it. Just check the ETM for what wires are for the auto, and remove them. (I started with the second connector by the X20 (auto trans connector) and moved back from there to the DME)
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

e34 engine harness seems the same between auto or manual, DME is also the same.

I installed an auto M50 vanos harness + s52 converted to obd1 sensors in e34 non vanos and had to remove 0 wires from the harness as all items just went to sensors.

to fire the e34 one relay was replaced by the OEM manual dummy relay, and PRNDL selector jumped to always neutral. Even cruise control worked perfect.

reverse sensor for the manual S52 transmission was just 1x 2 wire plug from trans run into the auto Reverse plug on e34 chassis; reverse is on the chassis harness.
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Yeah, E34 harnesses are easy, trans and engine are separate. E36 they are consolidated into one harness. I dont know if an E34 harness would fit or work on an E36 for the OP
        I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

perhaps if he just used the entire e34 harness engine part as a whole, repinned the tail to e36 and kept his current manual trans wiring? may be more work than its worth unless parts are handy and $0 or similar-
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Hmm thanks for the info guys. I'm not afraid of digging in ETMs. I did not know that the e36 harness was consolidated when auto though.

Comment

I used an e36 m50tu auto harness it works the same you just havethe extra plugs for the auto trans and a bunch of extra wires left over that aren't needed.

I pulled the majority of them out of the loom and left several for future addition of gauges etc.

The way I see it you could leave them all but if you ever plan to install an m3/318is firewall cover the extra wires will probably get in the way.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Hi.

I'm in swapping m50 vanos to e30 and now confused what should I exactly delete from my e36 auto harness? Can you plz tell in details?
                Also wire and plugs should be cut off or pull out from harness?
                Thanx.

Comment

Same questions as above?

Comment

Working...
                  X