S52 operating tempurature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 operating tempurature

Does anyone know the normal operating temp of a warmed up S52? I cant seem to find this info anywhere. I do not have a temp gauge wired up but I monitor the temp with an IR thermometer which gives me a numerical value in F. Today my head reach 234 degrees F. I pulled off to the side of the road before it climbed any more. Was doing 65 with spirited driving btw. My four banger mitsu idles at that temp, at least it did today, its 95 degrees out in my area. It seems that as im driving, the temperature fluctuates ALOT, anywhere from 150 to 230 degrees and climbing. I only pulled over because 230 is such a huge climb from 150.

200-210 is normal for me

Comment

Yea that sounds about right. Ive been doing some more testing and I found that the head diddnt actually climb that high. I was reading out of the heater vent with my thermom, and it will read around 240+ deg F, then ill check the head just after, and im sitting around 209. So it seems the motor is doing just fine in this 100+ degree weather. If it can handle that, then I must have done something wright. I hope. Did some more reading, and it seems that with a working water temp gauge, Dead center ranges from around 160 to 230 (dont quote me on the exact numbers) but the large fluctuation is normal I guess. Around and above 230 and the needle will swing to the right, reaching red at around 250 F. Someone feel free to correct me if thats not right. But all seems well.

Comment

My s50 cammed m52 does about the same. It sits at about 215-225 right where the hot coolant dumps into radiator.

Comment

I have an S50 and my coolant temp gauge says 195-205 most of the time. Rarely it will climb to 210-215. That equates to the middle or just above on the dummy gauge. From my reading in the E36 forums, that is pretty normal.

Comment

s50..

pusher fan/oe fan delete

stewart pump

track day car

water temp gauge w/ sender in head

on road..180-190

on track 195-205
            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

My S52 runs in the 188 to 194 range most of time. I have had it run to 212 a time or two after a hard run on the highway then stuck in traffic. Temps are from digital gauge off of ecu. The cars temp gauge runs just a hair under the midpoint at 188 - 194 and just above midpoint at 205 or so. I run an 88 degree thermostat an aluminum radiator, dual pullers and the stock a/c w/fan.

Comment

Working...
              X