How to install the Center Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install the Center Bearing

I got my E36 drive shaft which I understand I need to use my E30 center bearing. I've read I need to install it "upside down" but not sure what this means.
    Please advise

Originally posted by amcink View Post
    I got my E36 drive shaft which I understand I need to use my E30 center bearing. I've read I need to install it "upside down" but not sure what this means.
    Please advise
    Note the direction and orientation of the E36 CSB. Now take your E30 CSB and align it the same direction next to it. Next, rotate the E30 CDB 180 degrees, keeping the mounting holes on the same plane as before. Paint pen your front half shaft and the new front of the CSB (which is really the back) to mark how to assemble them.

tl;dr: not quite "upside down" but rather "backwards."

Comment

Originally posted by vandy View Post

tl;dr: not quite "upside down" but rather "backwards."
      I think this is where you're having trouble imagining what you have to do. It's more of a "front to back" than "top to bottom" rotation.
      For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
      Originally posted by mbonanni
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

This is on my car, an 86e with m50/g250.

The e30 csb is offset to the passenger side, whereas the e36 csb is symmetrical. The e30 csb mounts to the front half of the ds, while the e36 csb mounts to the rear half. Just take off the e30 csb, and install it in the same orientation on the rear half of the e36 driveshaft.

Hope that helps!
        -Peter
        '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
        '91 318is slicktop project
        '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
        '00 Tundra

Comment

Pics from my swap

Ref: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=305827

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

what yr is your car. the pics posted are for 86'early' habla or' late' Neil1138 different CSB's
              My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

There's a lot of confusing information regarding this topic on these and other forums.

It seems that later E30s have an offset CSB carrier while earlier ones were centered (maybe? I have a later E30 that has the offset style). Now, if you have this offset style then the advice to install the CSB backwards produces a pronounced bend in the driveshaft, which I have because I think the PO followed the "flip it around" advice.

So, can anyone who knows better give a definitive answer to:

1. Early E30 with M3 manual driveshaft and centered CSB: Install backwards or no?
                2. Late E30 with M3 manual driveshaft and offset CSB: Install backwards or no?

Comment

I can at least answer my own question #2 above: Do not install backwards.

Just finished R&Ring the CSB on a late model E30 318i that has an E36 M3 manual shaft. Here's what I consider the definitive answer for late E30 + E36 M3 driveshaft (at least):

1. Buy the E30 CSB for your year car. These late model E30 318's (among others) have an offset carrier (as several folks above have said).

2. Install the CSB in its stock orientation – not backwards – with the offset on the passenger side.

3. *Don't* buy the dust covers / support plates for the E30 CSB, however. Instead, buy the E36 versions (part #s 26 11 1 226 552 & 553, IIRC). Circlip is the same for both, I believe.

4. Don't forget to preload the CSB!

Comment

dead thread arise!

i had some confusion aswell on the install.

my late model has the offset bearing, check.
                    it's orientated with the snout pointing rear side so the offset is over on the passenger side, check.
                    so assuming this is all right and i just need to move it 6mil forward

the preloading is always away from the snout? just to be clear.
                    even on e36 ect. because i've seen picture of it installed with the snout facing forwards.

Comment

IIRC the preload is pushing the driveshaft towards the trans. Not sure about the rest, I have an early model and I don't remember if I put the CSB on backwards.
                      Originally posted by Melon
                      Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

The bearing itself goes into the CSB rubber from one side and has a shoulder so it doesn't pop out the back. I think the (forward) preload just keeps tension on the bearing so it doesn't back out.

CSB itself goes on the car in the same orientation it came off. This is because the chassis mounts are offset to one side, and the CSB is offset appropriately in the other direction to center the driveshaft under the car.

The talk of "backwards" is in reference to the 328i/M3 driveshaft splitting differently (male/female splines and U-joint are on the opposite driveshaft piece vs the e30 driveshaft) and is the most confusing way possible to describe how it goes on.
                        Last edited by Northern; 06-21-2019, 10:18 AM.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                        X