E30 with S50 vs S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 with S50 vs S54

Just how much of a performance advantage does an S54 provide over an S50 in an E30? The S54 is clearly a more complicated install not to mention more $$. The rated power differential between the 2 engines is not all that big. I want to get bigger power but wonder if the S50 is "good enough" without the need to go S54.

When I say S50 I mean S50B32 euro.

Comment

Originally posted by alexbaby88 View Post
      When I say S50 I mean S50B32 euro.
      is 30 more rwhp and a more responsive engine mean anything to you?

IF you have to ask this question then it probably wont matter to you so just buy the cheapest item you can stuff in your car.
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Where is KL? If you're in the US or outside Europe then S54 all the way as it would at least be possible to buy parts for it.
        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
        Originally posted by mbonanni
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

KL is in Malaysia. Parts availability definitely better for the S54. What is the situation with the meter cluster, can the E30 one be adapted or does the E46 M3 cluster have to be jammed in somehow?

Comment

Well the e30 cluster doesn't go to 8, so that's an issue. You can use a e30 m3 cluster but people want crazy money for them. For now I'm just putting a small shift light in mine until I can afford an AIM dash. s54's are cheaper than s50b32's over here, so it's a no-brainer.
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
              is 30 more rwhp and a more responsive engine mean anything to you?

IF you have to ask this question then it probably wont matter to you so just buy the cheapest item you can stuff in your car.
              fresh vs fresh bone stock there would be lucky to be 10rwhp and the torque difference is even less than that. S54 has more parts available and probably cheaper.
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

People use regular E30 Clusters with the S54 as far as I know. The speedometer is off of the sensor in the diff, the fuel level is off the float in the tank, the tach gets the same input through the harness and I'm assuming that you still have the same type of coolant temp sensor for the cluster as the older 24 valve motors.
                For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                Originally posted by mbonanni
                I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  fresh vs fresh bone stock there would be lucky to be 10rwhp and the torque difference is even less than that. S54 has more parts available and probably cheaper.
                  AGE of s50 causes the extra 20 hp difference.
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

thats not a hard and fast rule as my parents S50B32 has about 60k miles on it and it is very strong yet many S54 for sale have more mileage.

still if i was going to go to all the trouble itd be an S54 without question between the two. S38B38 seems to have most potential though as far as the 6's go
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

S50 parts are expensive and hard to source. if you're in the states, stick to the S54. The cost between the two swaps won't be significantly different, but you get a newer motor, newer electronics, and more parts availability.

I'm using an E46 M3 cluster in mine but the conversion isn't even a little bit simple. I've been working on it since 2011.. lol
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

engine for engine price the s50b32 is cheaper, but will be a bitch to get over "apparently" im looking for the s50b32 personally.----WHY and the parts will probably "get me", but ill have the shipper send over extra parts that tend to go. hell idk sometimes you just have to wing it.
                        hell idk sometimes you just have to wing it. JW

Comment

Cheaper to Go s54 finally!!
                          hell idk sometimes you just have to wing it. JW

Comment

S54 no question
                            88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

I have to say that I really love the noise that the S50B32 makes. It is also a very simple swap once you solve the brewing issue. The S54 requires a lot more electronic support to run, which is a downer.

All that said, if I were buying today, I would go S54.
                              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...