Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMW_TUNER View Post
    You are probably right. I can just see the slippery slope when I take it to the shop. I.E. "well the bores could use some work so you should just get oversize and go custom pistons....... and since you are doing pistons you should just do rods"...and down the rabbit whole I go. :devil:

Sounds exactly where I am... [emoji23] "valves could bend under that much PSI" well now supertech valves..
    What is you overall goal with this? Not touch as much internals as possible?
    - S50 Swapped E30 1/1 Mineral White -
    @vaughnbannister on IG

Comment

I would be happy with a reliable 400 whp. Living at 4500 ft that would make my car formidable.
      1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
      5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

Looks good! I'm really interested to see how you setup the S54 oil filter housing. Are you using an aftermarket cooler or the stock 325i setup?

Comment

Originally posted by exhaust View Post
          Looks good! I'm really interested to see how you setup the S54 oil filter housing. Are you using an aftermarket cooler or the stock 325i setup?
          Thank you.

I will be using an aftermarket simple 19 row setup.

Comment

So I can feel the budget monster creeping up on me.

Oil pump is toast.

Rods and mains looked fine. Took the block crank and Pistons to the machine shop to get looked at.

Not to bad for 8-10k really hard miles.

Have this in my back pocket in case the pistons or rods don't look so hot.
            http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/je-pi...s-pistons.html

Comment

So I can feel the budget monster creeping up on me.

Oil pump is toast.

Rods and mains looked fine. Took the block crank and Pistons to the machine shop to get looked at.

Not to bad for 8-10k really hard miles.

Have this in my back pocket in case the pistons or rods don't look so hot.
              http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/je-pi...s-pistons.html

Looking more and more like you put budget in the name to be sarcastic [emoji23][emoji23]
              @vaughnbannister on IG

Comment

definitely better safe than sorry to have the block machined. iirc for a flat 6 the side to side surface tolerance is .002" and lengthwise is .006" (and those figures are for head and block combined) so that block was out of spec anyway.

scope creep is a bitch, but you'll be all smiles when it's finished
                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                Shadetree30

Comment

I would be happy with a reliable 400 whp. Living at 4500 ft that would make my car formidable.
                  Killing all the subaru kids around here is the best, although 250whp does that in an e30. Looks like some awesome progress, going to be killer.
                  Think it will make the first autocross?

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                    Killing all the subaru kids around here is the best, although 250whp does that in an e30. Looks like some awesome progress, going to be killer.
                    Think it will make the first autocross?
                    Not sure right now. Trying not to rush. I am taking the opportunity to clean a lot of stuff up. Deleting unnecessary wiring etc.

Comment

Trust me, it's going to be great, having my supercharged set up at around 400 wheel was awesome. Killing 99% of cars on the road, best feeling [emoji41]
                      @vaughnbannister on IG

Comment

Originally posted by exhaust View Post
                        I have the S54 housing also. They make an AN adapter so you can do a really clean setup with an aftermarket core. Sorry, I don't have any good pics of the adapter setup. PM me if you really want some.

Comment

Originally posted by M3PO View Post
                          I have the S54 housing also. They make an AN adapter so you can do a really clean setup with an aftermarket core. Sorry, I don't have any good pics of the adapter setup. PM me if you really want some.
                          I like your cooler. Do you have the specs on it.

Comment

Also just got back from my machine shop. He said my head work looked great but there was more that could be done but it wasn't needed as I am going FI. I am super lucky to have my machine shop. They actually have an torque plate for my engine. I knew it was a good shop when I saw two S50B32 blocks sitting by the door custom drilled and tapped for oil squirters. He also has the ability to engine dyno an s54 too. The shop has build NA S54's that make 420+ hp.

For my engine It looks like I will likely be going with rods and pistons and officially taking the budget part off of the build.

More parts to sell

Comment

Well, while its at the machine shop, port and polish the head. The heads on our motors really benefit from it especially the exhaust side.
                              @vaughnbannister on IG

Comment

Ported and polished when I built the S50 the first time in 2009.

Comment

Working...
                                X