Starter not engaging flywheel but the starter is 100% working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter not engaging flywheel but the starter is 100% working

I'm finishing up my m50 swap and having issues getting the motor to crank over.

My setup is as follows:

m50 from a 1994 325i auto vert
    g260 transmission
    m20 lightened flywheel
    m20 late model starter
    harness made by Markert Motor Works

I purchased the drop in swap from a guy who was previously running it in a late model e30. The harness was made by Markert Motor works for the previous owners late model e30.

I'm putting the swap into a 1986 325e with a round c101 and the c104 in the glovebox.

I'm at the point where the starter is working and wired correctly. We've bench tested it and it works fine, the bendix gear pops out all looks good. It's the same type of starter the previous owner was running. The starter that came with the swap had a post come out of it when we were trying to hook up the wires so we swapped it for a good known working one. AKA the one we bench tested.

The motor has no driveshaft installed currently and turns over by hand fine.

The car was automatic but I've removed the entire auto wiring harness from inside the car relay and all.

Not sure where I need to start looking.

All my grounds are good. The wiring looks good etc.

Help is greatly appreciated. I want to get this thing running so I can get to a drift event ASAP
    Last edited by Vanilla Gorilla; 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM.
    sigpic

So what does the starter do when it's installed? Nothing? Clicks?

Comment

Originally posted by BFT_Boyle View Post
      So what does the starter do when it's installed? Nothing? Clicks?
      It appears to be spinning when it's installed... An extremely fast spin.. Going to do some more troubleshooting tonight and update with a video or two.

That's my plan at least haha
      sigpic

Comment

Hmm. Just not making contact with the flywheel? Does the starter clutch feel good? The drive should slip in one direction with some drag. If it's just free wheeling then you might need a new starter gear/clutch assembly.

Comment

Finally got this damn thing figured out.. It appears it was starter alignment. I had to pull upwards on the starter while having a friend crank it down nice and tight..

Now the car is running and starting fine...

What a pain in the ass.

I think between me and my 3 friends we pulled the intake manifold 11-13 times before figuring this thing out lol
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X