Weird Electrical Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Electrical Issue?

My m50tu swapped '89 sedan is acting up, and I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting.

It didn't start this morning. No dash lights, no noises, nothing. So I tested the battery, and sure enough, it was dead. It was a few years old, so I just went out and got a new battery.

Hooked up the battery, put in the key, dash lit up, turned the key... and the dash lights went out. No start, no click, nothing by the lights turning off. And then they wouldn't come back on. Taking out the key and putting it back in made no difference.

Here's the weird part. I unhooked the battery, and hooked it back up. Car started up great. Strong crank, engine started after just one or two turns. Runs great. No issues. Then I got home. And now it is doing it again. First time putting in the key after hooking up the battery I get dash lights, and nothing else. After that, nothing.

The battery is new, and tests strong. I don't see any blown fuses. And when it does start, it starts great. I don't get it.

I thought maybe the anti-theft is acting up? How would I check that? Or what else would just cut the electricity to everything?
    1989 325i m50b25tu swap
    1989 325i (sold)

Sounds like either a bad connection to the battery or a bad ground wire to the battery

Comment

Working...
    X