Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the very VERY least you need to get an M50 running in a non BMW chassis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the very VERY least you need to get an M50 running in a non BMW chassis?

I'm thinking about transplanting an unloved M50 (unless someone wants to trade me a KA24DE or some other fun little engine) into a pickup truck that needs a little more pep in its step.

So I only have the motor. It needs a new head gasket, but its in good shape. What else do I need to get it running in a non BMW chassis? I'm assuming I can use something like MS3 for the ECU. What other sensors and electronics do I need to source?

I'm going to keep doing some reading on the forums, so if these questions have already been answered, I apologize.

Cheers!

You should be able to use a stock ECU.

You will need at a minimum, alternator D+ from the ignition switch / battery voltage warning bulb circuit of your truck, switched power (ignition), constant power, fuel pump relay.

The wiring diagrams can be found at http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
      You should be able to use a stock ECU.

You will need at a minimum, alternator D+ from the ignition switch / battery voltage warning bulb circuit of your truck, switched power (ignition), constant power, fuel pump relay.

The wiring diagrams can be found at http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
      Wonderful, that's pretty much what I figured as well. Got the chassis today, engine on the stand, project commencing! And thank you for that link, I had lost it.

Comment

Basically all you need is the engine and everything on it with a complete harness, and an ECU. These motors are very "stand alone" in that you basically just need to provide power to the harness/starter/ECU and it will run.

Comment

Working...
        X