Clutch Going out Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Going out Question

I'll start with a few random symptoms since I'm new to clutch replacement. I live in NY, when it got cold out, it seemed the clutch started disengaging higher and higher. It disengages about 1/2 to 1 inch from the top of the throw. I'm not sure if there is a common cold weather culprit with these cars, but when it got warmer, the clutch got random (engage/disengage anywhere from 2-3 inches from the top to an inch from the top). I'm not really sure what to replace, the car is going on a 1000 mile road trip in a few weeks so I don't want a breakdown halfway there.

What usually goes on these cars that needs replacement? How hard is a clutch install? I know since the e30 is rwd it should be significantly easier than a fwd clutch..

Thanks for help anyone can give.

Nick

No one?

Comment

Sounds like your clutch master cylinder is letting fluid by when it's cold. Other cause might be air in the system. Try bleeding the slave cylinder and see if it goes away.

Installing a clutch on these cars is super easy. Getting to it however, is a real bitch. If you're working outside, on the ground, in the winter, then it's even less fun. Would be worth double/triple checking to make sure your problem isn't in the hydraulic system before tearing in.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X