Chipped automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipped automatic

I bought my 89 325iX auto with a chip in it that raised the redline. Is there a way to get the trans to shift a smidge later? it shifts at about 6250rpm or so. Or do I just shift manually?
    Thanks,
    Jacob
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

interesting question... i'd like to know as well.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    ---------------------------------
    89 E30 S52
    ---------------------------------
    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

How about a shift kit. Thought I have seen a few around that are tunable

Comment

Tunable shift kit. That sounds right. I'll start looking for it. Thanks.
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Just because you have a higher redline doesn't mean that you should necessarily use it. Repeated trips to 7k may lead to rocker failure, especially if the car has a history of valve adjustments at intervals longer than every 10K. I've never bothered to figure out what the optimal shift points are for an automatic, but for a manual transmission that point is lower than the stock redline (~5900 in 3rd/4th/5th).
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thats a fine point. If it doesn't make me go faster, then there's no need.
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The automatic e30 here in the states has a mechanical automatic. I don't give 2 craps about automatics and therefore have never looked into it, however you may want to look into adjusting the throttle valve cable and perhaps there are other adjustments which can be made manually to achieve this. The Bentley should cover this.

Comment

I guess the reason I asked this question in the first place was because my first e30 was a manual. I had complete control over when I shifted. Now in this car, I don't. I just need to get over it. Thanks for all of your thoughts.
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have the same issue. Chip allows me to go to 7k but it always shifts early. I'm thinking that the ecu has something to do with it. Maybe a programmable war chip will fix it.

Comment

No, the transmission is not connected to the ECU in any way. You could remove your ECU and convert your car to carbs and it would still shift the exact same way.

Comment

I found out that there are cams in the trans that controls the shift points. I may be wrong. When my car shifts, it's abrupt. feels like the car lunges when it shifts. do you think that has more to do with the torque converter?

Comment

Working...
                      X