M60/62 ecu cooling fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60/62 ecu cooling fan

Has anyone had to install a fan in the glove box to cool the ecu? I've had a few issues when running the car extremely hard that the car cuts off and the ecu is abnormally hot.

Two of these instances where on the track in 90 plus degree ambient temperatures. I know the e39 cars ran an ecu fan. I plan on just mounting a 12v dc computer fan to circulate cabin air. I've tried two different ecus with both experiencing the same issue. Engine cuts off and won't restart until ecu has cooled down to the point that it is warm to the touch.

Let me know you're thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

I have had the same thought. Although I have not had issues yet. I also have not mounted my DMU, it's just sitting in the glove box, I think that may be an contributing factor to the temp staying down.

I'm also M60, not M62, and I'm running a 404 DMU
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

I have the same issues with the ecu mounted and with it just sitting in the globe box. Hoping that simply blowing cabin air across it will solve this issue.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
      1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

bumping an old thread, but my ecu gets wicked hot (hasnt shut off the engine yet) but i noticed when i touched it with my arm doing something in the glove box after like a 20 minute ride.

im definitely going to run a little 12v fan probably for like a computer or something in the glove box. i was shocked how hot it gets.
        M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

I don't remember as it's been so long , but thinking you'd want to ground the ecu chassis and that might help . Or mount the hole thing to a sheet of aluminum and ground that, would act as heat sink as well. My plan was to ground the ecu and add modify the stock fan ecu box to fit in the engine bay as I had battery there .
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

DO NOT GROUND the DME case.

If you ground the DME case, then have a ground fault elsewhere, you can end up dumping ground current through the DME board to the case, which can release the smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
              DO NOT GROUND the DME case.

If you ground the DME case, then have a ground fault elsewhere, you can end up dumping ground current through the DME board to the case, which can release the smoke.
              The DME is mounted with metal brackets that touch it's case against the metal case of the e32/e34 DME/relay enclosure ...IIRC that box is then grounded to the chassis of the car.... but I would double check :)
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Just like many things, it's a risk, not a certainty. Just be aware of the risk.

Comment

it needs to be grounded. it came from the factory that way.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                  X