Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone done business with "Precision Gearing"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone done business with "Precision Gearing"?

I am in the market for a new differential and was wondering if anyone could speak about his or her experiences with "Precision Gearing"? I found this differential on eBay and spoke with Rob on the phone and he seems like a straight-shooting, honest guy, but I am looking to hear from customers.

The differential in question:

Bear in mind I daily drive my car and will not be doing much in the way of auto-crossing, etc. I have no problem paying extra for a reconditioned differential so long as it works as it should. I don't have the cash for a completely rebuilt unit and definitely don't like fixing things more than once.

Anyone?

Bump for answers!

Comment

bearings are not changed.............

differential Bearings are matched to races - the Needle bearings wear down in matching patterns.

There is no OEM 3.91 e30 diff unit besides for the viscous coupling VLSD of the e30 325ix. The linked item is not a Viscous LSD.

What makes you need a 3.91 for DD use? 3.73 is not that much different, 4.10 is avail in e30 format from the factory.

if you wanted the less common 3.91 you could get a Viscous unit from a 325ix, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between VLSD and Clutch pack type LSD- the VLSD is actually more advanced technology.
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I believe Precision Gearing is Jim Blanton's company.

Um, basically the Mecca for BMW diffs and trannys.

I can't believe they'd be cheap. They're the best.

d.hitchcock
        STX e30
        No. 10/110 STX: 1989 325i
        DD: 1991 318is slicktop

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

Comment

Precision Gearing is the guy that used to build diffs for Metrix Motorsport, and is not affiliated with Jim Blanton in any way shape or form.

There are some reviews of Metrix diffs on the Track subforum on bimmerforums. I think the feedback is generally positive.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Hmm, anyone else?

Comment

Working...
            X