Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

guys who run separate tires at the track..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guys who run separate tires at the track..

..is there any way to transport those tires without having to tow a little track day trailer? basically, i was wondering if there was anyone doing something like this on our cars, whether this is even possible, etc.

thank you!

E46t

Yes but my rabbit is able to fit not only my 10" wide tires but also my tools and other gear. I just happen to have a car with the space though. And the interior has been stripped down.
    What's wrong with using a track day trailer?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Yes, you can carry track tires on a BMW roof as well. ;) The M coupe below has the front tires in the back seat area and the wider rear tires on the roof rack.

Track day by systemdelete, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
        What's wrong with using a track day trailer?
        i don't have the space for it (i live in an apt).

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
        Yes, you can carry track tires on a BMW roof as well. ;) The M coupe below has the front tires in the back seat area and the wider rear tires on the roof rack.

Track day by systemdelete, on Flickr
        i was wondering if there was anyone carrying all four tires on the roof of their e30 :) can you fit two tires in the back seat of an e30 coupe?

E46t

Comment

I can fit all 4 of my tires in the back seat (225s on 14s RA1s)
          1990 S50 goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
            ..is there any way to transport those tires without having to tow a little track day trailer?
            Yes: just put them in the car ;)

Between the spare tire well, trunk, back seat, and passenger seat, you can fit a full set of tires in the car in several different configurations. In fact, I've transported eight wheels/tires inside the car on more than one occasion. How you fit them all depends on what else (and who else) you need to bring with you.

Originally posted by leegf View Post
            i was wondering if there was anyone carrying all four tires on the roof of their e30 :) can you fit two tires in the back seat of an e30 coupe?
            When I go to the track, I put all four track tires (225/50-R15 or 225/45-R15) in the back of my E30 with room to spare...and I've got a coupe with a 4-point rollbar installed. It's hard for me to picture why you'd be having any trouble doing so in a stock E30

Just pop out the rear seats, which takes all of 2 minutes. Then lay all four tires side-by-side: think of a barrel laying on its side. No problem at all.
            Last edited by Emre; 05-05-2011, 10:27 AM.
            sigpic
            1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
            2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

I fit all four in my back seat or 2 in the trunk and 2 in the seat. No problem at all.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Three in the trunk in the other one can go in the passenger or back seat (if accessible).

I used to do it that way until I got a trailer. My back seat is no longer accessible for wheels - my roll bar will not allow it, thought the old bolt in one I had would. I still can get tool boxes and other items in there, though.

Now I take two sets of track wheels - and one rides on the trailer, the other as described above. :-)

If you are taking only one set of extra wheels, you can get everything in the car some way.
                Current Cars
                2014 M235i
                2009 R56 Cooper S
                1998 M3
                1997 M3

Comment

2 in the trunk, 2 in the back or 4 in the back. why re-invent a wheel?
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Im sure if you had to you could fit a whole set of wheels in the passanger seat/area.

Comment

i have fit 4 225/50/15s in the back of my e30. with the rear seat installed.

room to spare.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

okay, i think that answers my question :) admittedly, i never tried - the car is new to me and i don't have a spare set to try it with - but i wanted to see what others were doing, in particular guys traveling to these events with one or more passengers. thanks for the replies!

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                          why re-invent a wheel?
                          You might also want to take your four closest friends to the track as well. ;)

This is the sole reason why 4 door M cars are acceptable IMHO. :)

IMG_8959 by systemdelete, on Flickr

Comment

If you don't mind installing a receiver hitch, a tire tail works quite well.

iZoom Graphics : - Autocross Numbers Race Car Numbers Track Day Numbers racing graphics, race car graphics, racecar graphics, racing numbers, race car numbers, racecar numbers, autocross numbers, autocross graphics, open track, sportscar, sports car, numbers, lettering, stickers, custom graphics, racing decals, magnetic numbers, magnetic graphics, vinyl numbers, vinyl graphics, reusable numbers, scca compliant, tiretail, tire carrier, track day, temporary race numbers, temporary graphics

Comment

Looks like you've gotten the answer I was going to give- put them in the car...

But, I've carried 4 wheels + tires on a generic roof rack before. I just put the racks close enough together so that the tire sidewalls sit on the crossbars, then stack them 2 X 2. I made up a couple of small T-shaped bracket to hold the wheels to the rack. Basically it's a piece of steel U channel with a piece of threaded rod welded to it in the middle (the channel makes the top of the T, the threaded rod makes the vertical part). I set the channel on the roof of the car with the threaded rod pointing up, then set the wheels over the rod so that the rod goes through the center hole of the wheel, then slide a round piece of plywood with a hole cut in the center down over the threaded rod, then a large nut gets threaded on the rod to hold the wheels to the rack.

Sounds complicated, but it's not. and it works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X